wds' Dean Candlestick $125
2 (7.1%)
Rigger1's blue B1 $20
4 (14.3%)
Kidphone's Hubcap Sign $8
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Dennis Markham

Since there is still today and tomorrow, I will add the "Poll" at the top if this category on February 01 so that voting may begin for the Month of January.

Please submit nominations for Find of the Month for January if they haven't already been listed.

Thank you.

wds

I'll throw my hat, and the Dean Candlestick, into the ring.  This one's a keeper and it only set me back $125
Dave

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on January 30, 2011, 10:41:28 AM
Jim....I saw this auction and stopped in on it a few times. I would have bet the house it was a "bad" after market paint, especially the way it looked orange peeled, I guess that was the layers grease. You did a wonderful job on this. I missed the clear hookswitchs. Good for you that the pictures did not show a good shot of them. But...you didn't miss it. This looks like one of those one of a kind phones. You should be really proud of this, just a really outstanding job....Doug
Quote from: Kidphone on January 30, 2011, 10:41:28 AM
Jim....I saw this auction and stopped in on it a few times. I would have bet the house it was a "bad" after market paint, especially the way it looked orange peeled, I guess that was the layers grease. You did a wonderful job on this. I missed the clear hookswitchs. Good for you that the pictures did not show a good shot of them. But...you didn't miss it. This looks like one of those one of a kind phones. You should be really proud of this, just a really outstanding job....Doug
Thank you Doug,
It took me awhile to buy it after I realized about the plungers.
My wife surprised me by agreeing that $40.00 was cheap for the plungers.  Someone had cleaned the phone before the ebay photo.

The guy I bought it from got it at an estate sale. My guess is that it was an award or retirement set. I think the estate was of the original owner.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

I'm nominating new member, Rigger1's B1/F1 that he picked up for twenty smackers.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stopthemachine on January 22, 2011, 11:46:49 PM
Quote from: Dan on January 22, 2011, 09:14:41 PM
Per Jim S recommendations, I'd like to nominate my pink 5302 off ebay. only 50 bucks too!

http://tinyurl.com/4gahm38
Man, that is truly incredible--I just won a GRAY 500 set with AT&T markings for just $33.  The guts are Western Electric--the plastics seems almost untouched over the years!  I know it's not a 50's gray set, but I did OK.  I still can't believe the 5302 in COLORS though...and pink at that!  I'm GREEN...errr pink?...with envy.  :)
Here's the link to the gray 500 set:
( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180611702442&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)
This is the perfect chance to tell (brag about) the story of my greatest phone find EVER.  Years ago, I won a WE 500 set off eBay.  The only reason I bought it is because I wanted a beige phone to go with my 500s.  When I got the set, I quickly began to realize that it (actually ivory) was an early 500 set with all early soft plastic and in fantastic condition!  (All ’56 dates, inside and out, but I’ll have to check it again.)  I bought it for 50 CENTS plus shipping/handling!  (I actually sent the guy a dollar because I felt bad!)
I am assembling the poll. I really like the  early 500 story.

In Regards to non black 5302's there is at least 1 transparent G handset example and at least 1 clear housing out there.
I bought a white one last summer :
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2502.msg34194#msg34194

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on January 29, 2011, 12:51:56 PM
I'd like to nominate Sargeguy's outstanding manual B1 as the find of the month. It sure is a beauty....Doug
Here is the Thread
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4213.msg54704#msg54704

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds2185 on January 30, 2011, 01:56:11 PM
I'll throw my hat, and the Dean Candlestick, into the ring.  This one's a keeper.

Here is the thread for this Dean. Dean Sticks are tough to find. THis one is a nice example.
Jim

Price on this one was $125.00. Personally I think it was cheap @ $200.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

What constitutes a find of the month?
Basically it is a phone you got that you or someone else thinks is worth the title "Find of the Month".
Forum members vote on these "finds" based on there personal critera.
Active discussion of the contenders is encouraged  and you can change your vote.
Voting is form the 1st thru the 10th.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the January Contenders for "Find of the Month". The poll runs for 10 days and then the winner will be annouced.

Please feel free to discuss the merits of your favorite find.

It is also a good time to clarify prices, dates, Personal reasons on why it is cool, ect.

Pink Rotary princess $2.50 Cheap and auction excitment
Gray ATT 500 $33.00   Gray is alway good
Light gray Princess $50.00  Extremly Hard to find (see above regarding color)
Manual B1  A very sweet keeper  $100.00
Gold 1543- $40.00 delivered,  My phone, factory paint w/ clear plungers (Clear is  cool)
Dean Candlestick A very nice and hard to find stick, Sweet  $125.00
blue B1 $20.00  Great deal and with an with an early dial.
----------------------------------------------------------
As you can see we are all over the board on contenders. Vote for your favorite find, You can change your vote
Voting ends February 10, 2011-

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

Here I go giving my opinion again. To "sell this" everyone nominating a phone should be posting the links to the  phones nominated AND posting a picture or two into this thread rather than making Jim hunt around for the threads and posting links here. We had a hard time getting many votes the last couple of months and without pictures right in front of us in the Poll thread to help us decide, I think there will be less votes. I'd like to see the poll here on this thread rather than in another thread as well.

Either that or we have a "Find of the Month" discussion thread like this one and then a seperate "Find of the Month" POLL thread is posted AND that thread has 1 or 2 pictures of each nominated phone as well as the link to the original discussion of the phone. That way everyone can do a quick and easy revue of the candidates and vote without having to go through all the side discussions that go on in the thread.

Just my opinion but I'm trying to figure a way to make it easy to convince all the regulars here to vote each month.

Terry

HarrySmith

I agree Terry. I am very lazy and I do not have much of a short term memory. If I have to search for a thrread or think (ouch) about where I saw a phone I will not bother If we have 2 pictures of the phone and the link in every nomination it will be much easier and should result in more participation. Maybe just set it up that all nominations must have 2 pictures minimum and a link to be considered, If not jsut have moderator delete it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

In looking back at the beginning of this thread I think everyone that nominated a phone to be part of the Find of the Month did post a photo and/or a link.  Or am I missing that.

Perhaps as suggested by Terry, when nominating a phone for Find of the Month just continue to post a photo and the link to the finder's topic.  Since the original posts are in various Boards.....(Flea Market Finds, Auction Talk, Collector's Corner", etc.)

Thanks to Jim S for all the extra work of looking up each one and re-posting them.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 01, 2011, 09:33:01 AM
In looking back at the beginning of this thread I think everyone that nominated a phone to be part of the Find of the Month did post a photo and/or a link.  Or am I missing that.

I agree Dennis but then a couple got posted here without links or pictures and I already can't recall reading about the find elsewhere. Also, the poll seems to be in a different thread for January rather than on this thread like the last couple of months. Maybe there is a technical reason for that?

Terry

Dennis Markham

Terry, it looks like Jim S started a new thread for the poll.  I didn't notice that.   We'll get it together.  He has volunteered to help out with the Find of the Month "program".  We'll discuss it so in the future we'll both be on the same page.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 01, 2011, 11:39:25 AM
Terry, it looks like Jim S started a new thread for the poll.  I didn't notice that.   
Neither did I.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,