"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NECo 702B Q1A 1978 model WONT RING!

Started by AE_Collector, March 21, 2018, 11:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I'm glad you got your Princess phone to ring.

I noticed you didn't mention where the red and black ringer leads were connected...When you got it to ring, what terminals were the red and black ringer leads on, please?

Thanks,
Rototech99

HarrySmith

According to the diagram he used they go to L1 & L2.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

Dear Harry Smith:

The original diagram shows the red and black ringer leads going to K and G.. In my earlier reply to AE Collector,  I suggested connecting the ringer lead on G to L1, which is a way to connect the ringer for straight line ringing.

If you connected the M type ringer as you mentioned, it wouldn't ring, or cause the phone to malfunction.

I didn't know if AE Collector had left the ringer connected per the diagram, or made the change I suggested, that is why I asked in my earlier reply...the good thing being he got it to ring.

Thanks,
Rototech99

AE_Collector

Quote from: markosjal on March 23, 2018, 02:14:51 AM
I was SOOOO wrong!

Well your observation was still completely valid. Initially I noticed the yellow set cord lead had this Slate-Yellow lead connected to it and it headed towards the hookswitch which led to my observation that maybe the phone had been on a 1A2 system. On AE 80 type phones we re-proposed one of the hookswitch contacts to be A & A1 leads for key system use so that was what I initially thought of here. I didn't realize that this slate-yellow wasn't actually coming off the hook switch!

That's what it is all about here. I was done fighting with it for the night and thought I would throw it out here and see what thoughts others had and by the next morning I had lots of great ideas to look into as well as wiring diagrams. A team effort that quickly led to the solution. Thanks everyone!

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on March 23, 2018, 09:57:45 AM
Dear AE Collector:

I'm glad you got your Princess phone to ring.

I noticed you didn't mention where the red and black ringer leads were connected...When you got it to ring, what terminals were the red and black ringer leads on, please?

Thanks,
Rototech99

Red was on K all along and Black on L1. Putting black on G is correct but for older 3 wire spade tip set cords where in most cases the green and yellow (G) lead would be put together on the set block. Once phones began coming with RJ plugs this was no longer possible at the jack (without mis-wiring the jack) so the change was made in the phone from then on.

Ultimately this time the missing piece of the puzzle was that the slate-yellow lead off the opposite side of the capacitor from terminal K was on G in the phone rather than L1.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

That is good, but I still can't help wondering where you had the red and black ringer wires connected when the ringer operated correctly...

I use the L1 and K connections as sometimes with the ringer connected to K and G, it won't ring on a regular bridged line.

And if I know the CRPF Forum folks, they'll want to know, too.

Thanks
Rototech99

AE_Collector

I was still typing and correcting as you replied just now. So yes K and L1 for the Ringer. K and G would be on many older schematics as using the G terminal rather than L1 for the Black Ringer lead just moved the point where G would connect to L1 (or possibly ground) down to the set block at the baseboard. And this gave the option of actually connecting G to ground at the set block in the occasional party line arrangement where ringing would be grounded rather than bridged.

Terry

RotoTech99

Its always been my practice to connect to K and L1 in these cases.

Rototech99

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on March 23, 2018, 11:03:42 AM
Its always been my practice to connect to K and L1 in these cases.

Rototech99

That is the new and current standard since introduction of the RJ cords. This version of the Princess having a "fly lead" soldered directly to the board and labelled as terminal M threw me!

Terry

RotoTech99

I'll have to make note of that with my NE Princesses; I never really noticed that myself.

Rototech99

HarrySmith

Sorry. I did not read all the replies before making mine. I read where Tery said he used the diagram and I went with that!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"