and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won this, but I don't quite know what it is

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 28, 2010, 07:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280469733395
( dead link 08-25-21 )

I saw one of these, with a copper color finish, a couple of weeks ago in an antiques mall for $65.  This one looked to be in good shape, and it was cheap.  Is it really a "real phone".  Does anyone know when these were made or how or where they were used?

Larry

Jim Stettler

It is a "Real Phone" (brand) intercom. A lot of early intercoms were marketed as toys and also as working home/office intercoms.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Larry:

There is a patent number in the auction. Check it out with Google patents to see what it is all about.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Hey Jim...good information...I always thought it was a toy.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

According to the patent information, the patent was filed in 1932, and it is for a "Substation Telephone Subset", specifically for an intercom.  It looks like, if I had two of them and a battery, I could have a working intercom (if I had a need for an intercom).  At any rate, it should at least make for an interesting item on my telephone shelves.  The one that I saw in the antiques mall was really cute, and this one appears to look better.  It seems to be a good deal for $15 with shipping.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 28, 2010, 08:29:00 PM
According to the patent information, the patent was filed in 1932, and it is for a "Substation Telephone Subset", specifically for an intercom.  It looks like, if I had two of them and a battery, I could have a working intercom (if I had a need for an intercom).  At any rate, it should at least make for an interesting item on my telephone shelves.  The one that I saw in the antiques mall was really cute, and this one appears to look better.  It seems to be a good deal for $15 with shipping.

Larry

The price is nice. A local antique mall had a pair of these for several years priced at $65 ea. I might of bought them if I could of got the pair for for around $35-40. The ones they had were an "old gold" finish.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on February 28, 2010, 08:21:05 PM
Hey Jim...good information...I always thought it was a toy.....thanks....Doug

The interesting thing is that the box used to show the applications. I assume the price was somewhat low since a toy intercom was one of the purposes.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Wallphone

I have a pair of these put away in a box some where. I also have some phones that are similar in that they appear to be well made toys. One is called Marvel-Phones made by Century Chicago Co., and the other is Serv-U-Fone made by American Electric. Both phones are made of steel with the Serv-U- Fone being gold in color and the handset weighs about the same as a WE F1. I also have the green square Connecticut phones with the bells on top and the transmitter built in with a watchcase receiver. I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.
Dougpav

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Wallphone on February 28, 2010, 09:19:15 PM
I have a pair of these put away in a box some where. I also have some phones that are similar in that they appear to be well made toys. One is called Marvel-Phones made by Century Chicago Co., and the other is Serv-U-Fone made by American Electric. Both phones are made of steel with the Serv-U- Fone being gold in color and the handset weighs about the same as a WE F1. I also have the green square Connecticut phones with the bells on top and the transmitter built in with a watchcase receiver. I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.
Dougpav
I just found (in a box, I have had it for over 10 years)a Conneticut desk intercom in black.  It is factory made and looks like they used the green wall version as a base for the desk phone. They added a cradle and handset over the transmitter hole. When the camera turns up I will take a photo.
Jim
You live, You learn,