News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Turtle Wax Headlight Cleaner

Started by Doug Rose, August 06, 2015, 04:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

A while back head light cleaner was mentioned to cleanup up old phone and I stated it did not work. I don't know what the product was as we returned it and I cannot find the post.

This WORKS Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer. Janet did it to my 2003 Honda Accord, which I love,  and they are like new.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm pretty sure Headlight Restorer is just Auto Compound. I bet it's just like Novus; just a cream with abrasive sediment mixed in.

I wonder how well it would work on phone plastics/paint? It probably is a bit more abrasive than the Compound I use for my phones.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

I had a 1994 Chrysler LHS with headlight lenses so yellow I could barely see the road at night. Decided on this heavy duty 3M product.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/13023890

It actually uses increasing fine grades of sandpaper to physically sand off the crud, and then a polish to finish the job. I sanded each lens for 10 to 15 minutes to get rid of the thick layer of yellowed plastic. I would not use this on a phone but if I ever had to redo a headlight lens, I go with this.

Worked really great but the plastic started to yellow again in a few months, so I junked the car . . .

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on August 06, 2015, 07:48:26 PM

Worked really great but the plastic started to yellow again in a few months, so I junked the car . . .

That's what I would expect to happen to Doug's car, eventually. Except the junk part.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 06, 2015, 11:16:08 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on August 06, 2015, 07:48:26 PM

That's what I would expect to happen to Doug's car, eventually. Except the junk part.

Ben
Yeah, he would most likely part it out. He'd probably find some oil seal on it that would work well as a D1 plunger bushing... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

I will agree that you can smooth out a Bakelite finish, and yes you can add an oil or some other form of thin coat,  that will fill in  then microscopic flaws, and give you a like new shine.
My question, and be honest, Does that shine remain without addition applications or continuous rubbing with a soft cloth.
To make my long question short.
If you set that very shiny polished Bakelite  phone on a shelf and leave it alone, how long will it stay that shiny. I say until the oil, or whatever is applied evaporates. Even a dirty car will look like new when you wet it. But what happens if you just let it dry in the sun. This is what happens to Bakelite. UNLESS you keep applying the oil or coating.

BE HONEST.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

DavePEI

Autoglass places around here use Novus to restore headlight lenses. That is why they stock Novus, and that is where I buy mine. Speedy, Midas, Novus (of course), and Tall Guys here all use it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

There are literally hundreds of the headlight restoration products out there. I have used a few, at home & at work. Some work better than others and some last longer than others. The key to getting them crystal clear is the resurfacing and the key to keeping them clear is in the sealer. They all yellow again eventually but the good ones last a year or more, and that is here in South Florida where the sun destroys plastics!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"