News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

numbercard printing

Started by david@london, November 28, 2012, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

This is why I put together my own dial cards with Macromedia (currently Adobe though) Flash, cos I can specify the size of the card as the work area and work within that, and when it comes to printing, it prints out flawlessly (well, aside from the printer being a pile of junk and messing up the prints with black streaks from it's knackered print head!!)... ;D

Still, for better cards, I need a laser printer, for higher quality prints... :)

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: DavePEI on November 29, 2012, 11:13:37 AM
OpenOffice is now LibreOffice, still free and even better. While you can still download OpenOffice on the Net, the new versions are Libreoffice, functionally identical, except it had a lot more import filters, such as Microsoft Works filters which work, etc....

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Dave

Just for the record, that's not quite correct. LibreOffice is a fork from OpenOffice. OO is now owned by by the Apache Software Foundation and is still being developed:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

OO 3.4 was released in May 2012, and 3.5 is schedule for early 2013

Choices!

Nilsog

I actually use microsoft word to print my dial cards! I find it is easier to make them in paintshop pro, then insert them into a document for resizing. Set to 1.5" and print, it has worked wonderfully for me. Much easier then trying to get the resizing tool in the printer options to work right. You can also print off a whole page at once and have a bunch of spares if need be.

This is my own custom dial card I put in telephones I work on:

The ragged looking edge is covered even in a clear 500 fingerwheel, so I haven't bothered trying to clear it up. The rest looks great, IMHO.
Ken

MDK

Another free option for graphics creation is Inkscape. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth the price. I use Inkscape almost exclusively for creating graphics in a vector format which is truly scalable.

I do opt for open source/freeware when possible. I collect telephones, therefore I am poor. (Is that a logical assumption?)

MDK

Here's a few more I did with Inkscape. Printed on some aged paper, they look pretty good.

wds

I tried Microsoft Word again, this time limiting the size to 1 1/2" and it worked perfectly.  I guess I'm not as up to date on Word commands as I thought.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Dave

MDK

Here's another, per a suggestion by my wife.

MDK

I have started a Flickr set of my dial card creations. Some of them are pretty faithful to the originals, some never existed except in my mind. HERE

Nick in Manitou

MDK,

As a Guinness drinker I really like that one!  Of course the Classic Rotary Phones Forum is also really good.

Nice work!

Nick

DavePEI

Quote from: MDK on December 07, 2012, 03:38:40 PM
I have started a Flickr set of my dial card creations. Some of them are pretty faithful to the originals, some never existed except in my mind. HERE

About all you are missing is a Drink Coca-Cola dial card!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MDK

Quote from: DavePEI on December 07, 2012, 05:57:40 PM

About all you are missing is a Drink Coca-Cola dial card!

Dave
Not anymore. I was working on a few more "fantasy" cards, and Coca-Cola was one of them. Against my better judgement, I've uploaded the Coca-Cola card (my band is sponsored by a local Pepsi bottling group).
HERE

Nick in Manitou

MDK,

I really like these!  Great work.

I am not sure if you are putting these out here for forum members to use, or just look at.

I would like to print off a couple for my own use, but don't want to do that without understanding if that is OK with you.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Nick

MDK

Anything I have created is free to use as needed. Print away!

Nick in Manitou

persido

I have been doing my number cards using windows paint.