"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 aqua 500

Started by finlover, October 06, 2010, 01:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Hi, Guys and Dolls,

Thought some of you might be interested in following a 500 I just listed.  This one's a real wild card.  On the plus side it's a desirable year and color, on the minus side it has a crack repair, imperfect fingerwheel and ends on a Tuesday (I usually like to end on a Sunday). 

This phone came to me with a black '70s dial and 911 stickers on it.  Unfortunately the seller didn't notice the small hairline crack on one of the front corners, but I picked it up for under $10 so I didn't complain.  The handset was yellowed but the case was pretty nice color-wise.  Likewise, the handset cord was tangled and yellowed but came out okay.  I apologize in advance for my long-winded description--do yourself a favor and just look at the pictures! :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190453087416&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
( dead link 11-03-21 )

bingster

Another beauty!  You mentioned in the auction that the open center fingerwheels have never been reproduced, and I can't help wondering why that is.  They're so often broken, that it seems like a no-brainer.  I'm sure many collectors would love to have as many as they can get their hands on.  I know I would.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

finlover

Quote from: bingster on October 06, 2010, 02:15:06 AM
Another beauty!  You mentioned in the auction that the open center fingerwheels have never been reproduced, and I can't help wondering why that is.  They're so often broken, that it seems like a no-brainer.  I'm sure many collectors would love to have as many as they can get their hands on.  I know I would.
You got THAT right--I'd probably pay up to $10 a pop for new ones, especially if they came with all three pieces.

finlover

Kenny C

i have been wanting one but Always out of stock
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jester

Quote from: finlover on October 06, 2010, 02:19:18 AM
Quote from: bingster on October 06, 2010, 02:15:06 AM
Another beauty!  You mentioned in the auction that the open center fingerwheels have never been reproduced, and I can't help wondering why that is.  They're so often broken, that it seems like a no-brainer.  I'm sure many collectors would love to have as many as they can get their hands on.  I know I would.
You got THAT right--I'd probably pay up to $10 a pop for new ones, especially if they came with all three pieces.

I mentioned that very thought to Ray Kotke last year when I was ordering something else.  His response was "Yeah, I've been thinking about that".  Time will tell, I guess.
Stephen

baldopeacock

That's pretty.   Were the plastics yellowed as found?   It sure looks true-blue now.

finlover

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 06, 2010, 10:05:39 AM
That's pretty.   Were the plastics yellowed as found?   It sure looks true-blue now.
Thanks, baldo!  It was fairly yellowed overall, the case was less so.  Nothing peroxide and sandpaper couldn't handle though.

HarrySmith

You used peroxide on it? Just peroxide or the retrobrite formula? I tried retrobrite on a yellow phone handset and it was disastrous! I have been reluctant to use it on color phones, only white or light beige since.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Ray K. told me he likes peroxide and oxi.
He uses it as a liquid. His theory is the splotches are caused because of various degrees of coverage if you try to use a paste.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

finlover

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 06, 2010, 12:07:25 PM
You used peroxide on it? Just peroxide or the retrobrite formula? I tried retrobrite on a yellow phone handset and it was disastrous! I have been reluctant to use it on color phones, only white or light beige since.
I use kind of a modified retrobrite formula: 1 cup 20 volume peroxide, two rounded teaspoons xanthan gum and 1 teaspoon glycerin.  I find the OxiClean powder unneccessary.  In my experience the only color to be careful with is pink, which tends to blush easily.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: finlover on October 06, 2010, 02:40:58 PM
I use kind of a modified retrobrite formula: 1 cup 20 volume peroxide, two rounded teaspoons xanthan gum and 1 teaspoon glycerin.  I find the OxiClean powder unneccessary.  In my experience the only color to be careful with is pink, which tends to blush easily.

Do you use a UV light source, or just let it do its thing without UV?
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Greg:
Psst, psst, you forgot the secret ingredient: a hair from the tail of a widowed cow from the Texas plains.
Jorge

Kenny C

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 06, 2010, 03:32:27 PM

Greg:
Psst, psst, you forgot the secret ingredient: a hair from the tail of a widowed cow from the Texas plains.

I would have never thought to have said that i would said something like hair of a toad  or something but only you could think of that ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010