"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

195bdwy Meets nana011

Started by cihensley@aol.com, May 14, 2011, 06:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

See:  http://tinyurl.com/3tvtnpq

This is I think we see some outlandish prices paid for items on eBay. Both of these guys have won (purchased) items by placing large dollar snipes as bidding on an item closes. They are betting that the other bidders are rational and won't place large last minute bids. They win most of the time, albeit they may pay top dollar because a rational bidder bid high. The fun comes when the two bid on the same thing. I think nana011 was surprised with what he actually had to pay, and 195bdwy was surprised that he was outbid (and relieved when his outlandish bid did not win).

Chuck

trainman

People who bid like that make it harder for people like me to aquire phones. Average Joe E-bay seller sees that, thinks my items are worth that much, then prices accordingly. Only the rational seller realizes after no bids, the price is high.

Wallphone

I don't think these buyers are after your average items although I still can't understand some of the prices for BSP's. Thankfully we have the TCI Library where you can usually find what you are looking for for FREE. < http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php > I sure hope that some day I am selling something that both these bidders absolutely must have. That would make my day/week/month/year.
Doug Pav

GG

Trainman, fortunately that kind of wild & crazy bidding frenzy usually doesn't touch the kinds of items most of us are looking for.  Though I am kicking myself for not having acquired some red, green, and ivory GPO 232s and 332s back in the day when they could be had for a little over $100 + shipping (not Ebay, elsewhere).  OTOH it's still a pretty wide open field for a lot of nice items. 

And I also agree with Cihensley's point, that the real wild & crazy doesn't usually happen until two last-minute high bidders come together in the last few seconds.  I consider that kind of action mostly as a form of entertainment for the rest of us working stiffs to watch and smile about.  "Holy Cow, did you see what some guy bid for *that*...?"  "Yeah, heh, a little more and he could have bought a rural telco in distress and had something left over to equip the place with original 3-slot payphones!"

bingster

Somebody got seriously rooked.  Just this month, an auction ended that was for SIXTEEN of these small format BSPs.  The entire set (plus a Kellogg manual and something else) went for less than $300.  I was stunned.  I've mentioned before that seven or so years ago, I bid on a set of seven or eight in a case, and lost.  Those went for around $800.  This set that just ended was the telephone steal of the year.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

195 Broadway has some really cool items in his collection.

Some of his items are very, very scarce.  I have corresponded with him in the past.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

195bdwy is a phone club member. I contacted him about a phone we were both bidding on and we had a few nice concersations. Plus he agreed not to bid on the phone I wanted. I got sniped by one of nan011's other accounts anyway but "met" a good guy.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

trainman

I meant in general, not this particular item. You see it allthe time. Seller sees item x went for 1000, says I have one of those puts it on ebay, at 800.00 hopeing he'll  get the same, when in relity its  only worth half. A bidding war drove the price up. But, if one seller sees it, others will, and will try to get as much for there iems.