"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 10-57 Ivory 500 - DATES

Started by Dewdrop, March 19, 2011, 10:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

Dennis,

Here's a close-up of the center of the dial. Sorry, I'm not sure on what I need is called.
Debbie

Dennis Markham

Debbie, those retainer clips are often missing.  You remove that finger wheel just like any Western Electric plastic wheel of the ear.  On the back side the three prong retainer clips just sets in and then is rotated to stay in place. It holds in the celluloid and card.  I'll look and see if I have an extra one of those as well.  I'm pretty sure I do. 

Dewdrop

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 20, 2011, 12:33:32 PM
Hi Debbie, the closest date I have is third quarter 1958. III 58. If you want it, it is yours, PM or email me with your address and I will send it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer Harry. I'm going to wait just a bit.
Debbie

Dennis Markham

Debbie, I do have a retainer clip that you may have.  I will post some photos of how the clip works with your finger wheel.  I opened up a bunch of phones today looking for a matching ringer for you.  I came close with one from 9-57.  It's also got your name on it if you'd like that one.  The "donor" is really a nasty 554 that was picked from the trash a while back by my son who found it on a job site.  I connected a line cord to it today and it rang loud and clear.  These things are bullet proof.  Send me a PM if you'd like these parts.

~Dennis

GG

Nice one! 

Ringer with plastic volume control: ITT or Stromberg-Carlson, I'm going to guess the latter in your case based on some subtleties of the design from what I can see.  Worth keeping as a spare part, one never knows when one might need it.  The ringer wouldn't have been added by Bell, they would always use WE; so this phone has had an interesting history where some subsequent owner added that ringer, possibly because the original failed in some way (unlikely but not impossible). 

Dewdrop

UPDATE.......

Today I changed out the ringer (from whenever) to the 9-57 (from Dennis Markham) and added the retainer ring and cover (from Dennis Markham).

These were my first ever tasks to do on a phone. I did take my time.

Excuse the BRIGHT white number card, will work on that later. There also a light spot from my flash.

Thanks for the comments, advice, and especially the ringer and retainer from Dennis Markham.

With your help and encouragement I DID IT! Happy-happy, joy-joy (Stimpy from The Ren & Stimpy Show!

Debbie
Debbie

Dennis Markham

Glad I could help, Debbie.  The phone looks great.  You got a nice one there.  Congratulations.