News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What should I do?

Started by TelePlay, January 21, 2012, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Now that was worth the wait.  I've removed extra layers of paint from several candlesticks without damaging the original black paint underneath.  Other than than, put a different perch on it, and a good cleaning and you've got yourself a nice phone.
Dave

Doug Rose

John....I agree with Dave....this is a beauty waiting to happen. I can see why you wanted this phone. Does the dial plate have a notch? It doesn't look like it does from the pictures, but I have never seen a Z on a notchless dial plate.

$15 plus shipping!! How long was this on before you caught the BIN!! I thought I had the record.  GREAT HIT!!!! Want to post the auction number?....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Doug, yes, I really wanted that phone. It was a gamble but at least I would have a stick for stage use. Picked up a 584A subset a few days ago to go with it.

As for how long it was up on eBay, I don't know. I would think less than an hour or two. Was surprised to see it still available, did a double take and bought it. Is there a way to find the listing time and date?

The first picture below is a composite of the 3 that were in the eBay auction. That's all I had to go on. No description.

The dial card celluloid is missing and they painted over a "Wait for Dial Tone" dial card so no extra bonus of an old hidden dial card.

The dial plate is notched. While the numbers and letters are not worn or faded, the dial plate itself is discolored, has marks and shows cracks. Is this normal for a plate this old? It seems quite fragile.

There were no markings on the back of the plate and the dial itself does not have any markings or dates.

The finger stop was a 2AA and changed to a 2AB. What change would cause that to happen?

Doug Rose

Dial plate is celluloid and is a nice find in itself, this should have a unnotched dial plate, but not a big deal. If you look under bids, you should see what time you bought it and what time it was listed. What a find!!!....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

I got lucky.

The stick was listed at 10:33:22 on Jan 1 and I bought it at 10:42:22 - exactly 11 minutes after listing and one of those minutes was doing the double take realizing what I had just found. First bit of luck for me in over 3 years of phone buying.

Also, would you leave the Bulldog on the phone or get a mouthpiece dating back to the late 20's?

And, what is the correct dial for the notched celluloid dial plate?

Doug Rose

Nothing the matter with a Bulldog, but you should try to replace it. They are fairly easy to come across. I'll look through my junk boxes. Great Phone. I got one awhile back that was on only 2:44. ....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 28, 2012, 01:53:55 PM
Nothing the matter with a Bulldog, but you should try to replace it. They are fairly easy to come across. I'll look through my junk boxes. Great Phone. I got one awhile back that was on only 2:44. ....Doug

You still hold the record, Doug.

And thanks for the info. I found a Bulldog in great conditon on eBay today for about $20. Now all I need is the internal wiring harness, a new receiver end cap, a perch and a subset mounting cord. While I'm waiting for that, I'll be cleaning and polishing.

TelePlay

Doug,

The "new" Bulldog arrived today. Great condition. Working on paint removal in limited spare time.

And, I just scored another BIN deal. Are you sitting down?

|
 |
 |
 |
 V

A 202 with a Z dial plate and a E-1 handset for $10 plus $8.50 shipping. Will be here in about a week.

Not bragging, just really happy I got lucky again - twice in 3 years.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

deedubya3800

TelePlay

Photos of the $10 D1 202 as arrived at this link. Got some work to do in this desk set.

http://tinyurl.com/82zlup4

Think that WE original RC circuit with two mounting brackets is worth anything?  :)