"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D1 wont behave

Started by Steve, February 28, 2015, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with a d1 I'm trying to get working.

I've had this for about 20 years, and just now trying to get it working correctly. I bought this phone from an antique shop hooked up to work without a subset.

since i got it, even with no subset it has a nasty case of hook switch and dial "pop". I have it hooked up to the subset now following the wiring diagram on this forum.

I am able to make calls now, but the ringer is not working. also the hook switch/dial pops are still present.

my next step will be to bend the dial contacts down as reference here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4848.0

hopefully that will cure the popping.

but, can anyone tell me how I might get the ringer to work?

here are some pictures of how I have it connected. I had the ringer connected a few different ways, starting with the wiring diagram here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

NorthernElectric

Looks to me like the ringer wires are connected in reverse of the wiring diagram.  The diagram shows the black wire coming from the 'biased side' which should be connected to the ringer capacitor on terminal K.  Your black ringer wire is going to L1 on the coil where the red wire (which on yours looks like light brown to me) ought to be and the 'red' wire to the ringer capacitor.  I don't know how important polarity is, but it's something that looks backwards to me.  My 2 cents, but I am by no means an expert.
Cliff

Steve

I actually have had the ringer wired up a few different ways. I cant get it to ring or even buzz like it's trying. it's hooked up like this in the picture as it's the last way I tried before getting frustrated and posting here.

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

NorthernElectric

Have you checked the ringer coils with an ohmeter?
Cliff

unbeldi

Please don't bend anything until you are convinced that the phone is wired correctly. On quick inspection of the subset, I don't think so, but I would have to look at the wire tracers more carefully.   But for starters, the telephone line should come in and connect to L1 and L2 on the induction coil and the ringer and capacitor circuit should be connected to same.  I don't see that.

Steve

Thanks!

I was apprehensive to do that until I had a second opinion.

I have the red connected to L1, but green is connected to Y, as I dont see an L2 on the coil?

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

TelePlay

Is the coil marked 101A or 101B? Can't tell from the photo.

Steve

coil is marked
101A
III 47
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

poplar1

Is the green handset cord wire connected to W inside the handset? If so,  before you start bending the contacts on the dial, try removing the wire from W on the dial, to see if there is a pop; there should not be.

L2 is the same terminal as Y, but is hidden by the yellow wire.

101B has RR instead of L1, and no Y-L2 terminal. 101B has an M terminal but with only one screw.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Steve

It's hard to see the markings inside the handset.

the green handset wire is connected to the contact that touches the center of the transmitter,does that make sense?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

TelePlay

Hidden very nicely.

poplar1

That center terminal (with two screws) with the transmitter contact is actually BK. That wire should go to BK on the dial.
So you can either reverse the green and yellow handset wires inside the phone, or inside the handset.

The way the handset is currently wired, the green wire is substituting for black (BK in handset to BK on dial), the yellow wire is substituting for white (W in handset to W on dial), and red is red (R in handset to R on dial).

Some people prefer to use green to substitute for white, and yellow to substitute for black, because this is closer to the actual colors used in the mounting cord going to the subset.  It's really up to you which method you use, but right now, it's miswired because the transmitter is connected to W on the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Steve

Quote from: poplar1 on February 28, 2015, 04:58:18 PM
Is the green handset cord wire connected to W inside the handset?

I believe it is. it's connected to the middle of the 3 terminals.

Quote from: poplar1 on February 28, 2015, 04:58:18 PM
If so,  before you start bending the contacts on the dial, try removing the wire from W on the dial, to see if there is a pop; there should not be.

I removed the wire from W on the dial. still pops.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

Quote from: poplar1 on February 28, 2015, 05:12:06 PM
That center terminal (with two screws) with the transmitter contact is actually BK. That wire should go to BK on the dial.
So you can either reverse the green and yellow handset wires inside the phone, or inside the handset.

Ahh sry I missed this post. will look now.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,