News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British GPO 232 ("Pyramid")

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 20, 2012, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I mostly reassembled the phone.  I was able to restore the vinyl coiled cord to like new condition, but I still want to get a brown cloth braided handset cord.  I found a black cloth two-conductor cord lying around, so I used it for the line cord.  The phone still needs a drawer front.  I am waiting for a reply from the forum member who offered me one.  When I have a chance, I will try to get better pictures, but here is one for now.

Larry

HowardPgh

This diagram is clearer and may help. It also shows the two versions of this phone. I originally got this diagram from a UK phone site.-Howard
Howard

LarryInMichigan

I had contacted another seller in the UK who had cords on ebay.  He will ship to the USA, but I wanted to actually receive and restore the phone first before making any expensive purchases for it.

The rubber feet are very worn.  The rubber is completely hard, and the bottoms of the feet are crushed so that they do not extend far enough to lift the phone above the edge of the base.  I see that I can order replacements, but in the mean time, I cut out round pieces of thin cork with adhesive backing and stuck them to bottoms of the feet.  The phone now sits at about the correct height and doesn't slide on the desk.  Nobody will know the difference unless they lift the phone and look at the underside (please don't tell anyone).

I patched the broken area, but it is quite noticeable.  I am not very good at such things.  It is a good thing that I am not a jeweler or plastic surgeon.

BTW, if you can guess what type of phone is sitting next to this one in the picture I posted earlier, you win a prize :).

Larry

david@london

one of those french inspector clouseau ones with the dial card attached by a screw?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: david@london on November 29, 2012, 03:05:31 PM
one of those french inspector clouseau ones with the dial card attached by a screw?

Very close.  Its a French U43.  The whole finger wheel is held by a screw on the front.

Larry

david@london

like this.............?

nb,  pls send prize by express post as the christmas rush will be upon us soon.

LarryInMichigan

Quotelike this.............?

Almost, but not entirely.

You're prize is a 9-79 black WE 500 DM.  Just send payment for the shipping charge ($350.99), and it will be on its way ;D

Larry

david@london

different handset ?

postage seems high on the great prize........hang on to it for me.......can i do a free pick-up on it if i ever get to yr neck of the woods ?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: david@london on November 29, 2012, 04:21:03 PM
different handset ?
Different colour.

Quote from: david@london on November 29, 2012, 04:21:03 PM
postage seems high on the great prize........hang on to it for me.......can i do a free pick-up on it if i ever get to yr neck of the woods ?

There's a $50 handling fee for pickups.

gpo706

That 232 looks really nice Larry, better than mine, its covered in dust and the capacitor has fallen out of it...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

The seller jest sent me the $30 refund that he promised.  I have been using the phone for the past day and a half.  It has some occasional loud static which usually stops when I bang on the handset, so I have another project to do on it.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 30, 2012, 04:11:26 PMIt has some occasional loud static which usually stops when I bang on the handset, so I have another project to do on it.

Sounds about right for a GPO carbon granule transmitter, they're often quite crackly... :D