News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 5/58 DK 591 Phone.... tell me about this ....

Started by LoveOldPhones, November 24, 2016, 11:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

OK.....  I saw this....  I have been wanting one for YEARS !  I didn't even think about it.... I just bought it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332043266758

Now.... I am going to need to find a matching line cord....  and find a way to clean this baby up.  LOL
honestly..... I know its going to need alot of work....  but I LOVE this color !

I haven't ever seen one of these for sale....  I guess I just have never been around when they have come up on eBay.
I don't know much about these phones.... I do know I have never really cared for the 'banjo' Kellogg.... I like these better.

Someone I once knew was selling off their collection and they had one of these..... and I missed it.
so now.... I have this one.

Did I pay too much for it ?
If I did.... oh well.....  BUT !   I really wanted it.  lol

thanks for your comments.... and any suggestions you have about getting the line cord.

Jim Stettler

Nice find, I don't think you overpaid, that is a HTF color on a scarce model of telephone.
K500's are kinda hard to find. They had made 15 colors (per the K500 handbook maybe more) and I have also seen clear. I have only seen 1 other example of that color, It was in a collection I bought from Mark Scola years ago.
The handsets on a K500 have a slightly different "curve" on the end when compared to a WE handset.

Here is a link to the K500 handbook.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/kellogg-book1.html

Good find,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

I like that phone....a nice addition to any collection. I don't think you paid too much at all....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

I think you hit a home run. A very nice phone, in very good condition. Curious if it has the Kellogg dial, or WE dial. It took me awhile to find an original Kellogg dial for my Banjo phone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LoveOldPhones

hey Jim.... thanks for the link...  I'll have a look first chance I get.

I really don't know anything about this phone.... I can't wait to get it and look inside.
I sure need a line cord though.... where am I gonna find THAT ?  lol

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 25, 2016, 02:12:11 PM
I think you hit a home run. A very nice phone, in very good condition. Curious if it has the Kellogg dial, or WE dial. It took me awhile to find an original Kellogg dial for my Banjo phone.

D/P

Yeah... it seems to be in nice condition.... I love the feet.... they look great.  lol   who knows what the dial is. I'll get into it when it arrives.... hopefully unbroken.  I asked the seller to please pack the base and handset separately.  Hope he does that.

LoveOldPhones

OK !  so the phone has arrived and it seems to be in fairly good condition.   I took the housing off....  there are NO DATES inside !
Is this the way it is with these Kellogg 500 type sets ?
this set is JUST Kellogg..... not ITT Kellogg.

what a shame that the line cord was cut.... I hope I can find a replacement for it at some point.

the dates on the handset pieces don't match.... they are from  66 and 78.

there is NO date on the inside of the housing either.  lol
I cleaned off all the grime from the inside.... but there was no date to be seen..... not even something that might have faded.... nothing at all.

and no date on the stump of the line cord either.... that metal piece that restrains the cord.

I wasn't expecting that.... I thought there would be dates in the inside of the phone.... but there is not ONE !

unbeldi

That is pretty typical for the independent telephone makers.
It was completely un-useful for them to spend money on date marking components, since they sold their equipment, and didn't have to maintain it for 20 years, as did Western Electric.

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: unbeldi on November 28, 2016, 09:40:18 PM
That is pretty typical for the independent telephone makers.
It was completely un-useful for them to spend money on date marking components, since they sold their equipment, and didn't have to maintain it for 20 years, as did Western Electric.

thanks.... I was wondering why....  and now it makes sense.  lol
i LOVE the phone... i been looking for that one for a long time.

unbeldi

There are a couple of people selling mostly cordage on eBay.  They have many colors and I think I have seen turquoise as well.  Those are not OEM cords usually, but by companies that specialized in making replacement cords. I have bought them and they are excellent options, since they were made still when the original colors were still on the market.

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: unbeldi on November 28, 2016, 10:04:57 PM
There are a couple of people selling mostly cordage on eBay.  They have many colors and I think I have seen turquoise as well.  Those are not OEM cords usually, but by companies that specialized in making replacement cords. I have bought them and they are excellent options, since they were made still when the original colors were still on the market.

Yes... I have seen those sellers BUT... they don't have THAT color turquoise.
that Kellogg turquoise is its own color.   I already looked at the selections available but there is no match for this phone.... at least none that I saw.

poplar1

Is that a 5/58 date stamped on the bottom of the phone?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LoveOldPhones

LoveOldPhones

OK... I'm confused.   The bottom of this phone says DK 591.
It is NOT a banjo phone.

I thought banjo phones were DK 591.  or are they something else ?

this phone says only Kellogg on it.... and looks like any early western electric 500 set.
can someone clear up the numerical designations here.

thanks

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.