News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Topics

Started by Mark Stevens, September 04, 2008, 03:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

I need some ideas for message topics, the categories to setup as message areas. Any thoughts on this? A category on phone repair would be a natural, but what else?  Perhaps phones for sale?  Phones wanted?  Phone history?  Should categories be setup for different phone types?  I'm all ears!   :o

Dennis Markham

Mark,

Congratulations on the new addition to your blog site!  I am excited about your Rotary Phone Forum and will surely be contributing by putting in my two-cents worth.  I think the topic possibilities are endless.  We are not reinventing the wheel as historical documentation of the telephone has been available and continues to be updated ever day.  But I think we will enjoy sharing thoughts on various topics related to Classic Rotary Phones.  Whether one is interested in obtaining just one phone to display and use or one is a collector of many old telephones, there should be something here for everyone.  There is much to learn and much to share.  Thank YOU for the opportunity to discuss any aspect of collecting old phones---whether we are talking about a ringer that won't ring or how to repair broken Bakelite, this ought to be fun!

Mark Stevens

Sounds great, Dennis, but I want more than 2 cents out of you!  I'm counting on your being the rudder that will keep this ship pointed for the horizon. (the Earth isn't flat, is it?)  I'm still agonizing over the whole category thing, but did create one for Troubleshooting/Repair and another called Collectors Corner, that I imagine could go in a number of directions...we'll see.  I almost made one called Classifieds, but I kept imagining it turning into something of a nightmare, so I backed out.  :-\
I don't know if this will be sufficiently intuitive or not, but I've fixed it so that the HOME button goes to the Main Forum Page (showing the categories) and the ClassicRotaryPhones.com graphic at the very top is clickable to go to the Main Page for the entire website.  It makes perfect sense... er... after you figure it out!
From what I can tell, everything seems to be functioning properly, so I'll be able to focus on making the forum look a little nicer. I'm OK with the colors, but those menu buttons... yech!  Gotta work on avatars, too. 

HobieSport

I'm in a kayak fishing forum (NCKA.ORG) and we have a main topic called "Kayaks by Manufacturer".

Then sub topics for each manufacturer.  It helps folks find and discuss things for the manufacturers they are interested in and is quite handy. Just my .02 of course.

Another idea is for a Gallery section for individual galleries for any member who wants one, to post pics and descriptions of our own phones and new finds.  That way we can keep track of who has what in their collection and what our individual tastes are, which in turn might help us find phones for each other.  I'm still looking for that W.E. 520 for instance... :o

Also, Mark, thanks for the classified section. It will be nice to buy/sell/trade within the group.

BTW; Darn! I just realized that I missed being a charter member last month, since I just joined.  Oh well.  At least I can look like Bruce Cambell 8)

Thanks again for the great forum.  -Matt

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HobieSport on October 17, 2008, 01:24:29 AM
I'm in a kayak fishing forum (NCKA.ORG) and we have a main topic called "Kayaks by Manufacturer".

Then sub topics for each manufacturer.  It helps folks find and discuss things for the manufacturers they are interested in and is quite handy. Just my .02 of course.

Another idea is for a Gallery section for individual galleries for any member who wants one, to post pics and descriptions of our own phones and new finds.  That way we can keep track of who has what in their collection and what our individual tastes are, which in turn might help us find phones for each other.  I'm still looking for that W.E. 520 for instance... :o

Also, Mark, thanks for the classified section. It will be nice to buy/sell/trade within the group.

BTW; Darn! I just realized that I missed being a charter member last month, since I just joined.  Oh well.  At least I can look like Bruce Cambell 8)

Thanks again for the great forum.  -Matt

I thought about the manufacturer topics you mentioned, but at the time was afraid that I was getting too specific. It's hard to believe because of the activity on it, but this forum is new, having only been on-line for a few weeks.  I wondered if their would be enough activity to support more than one topic!
The member gallery idea is a good one, but that might be pushing the boundaries of my coding skills. It's possible that an add-on program exists for the forum software that will provide such an area, and I may look into that.
Bruce Campbell is cool, particularly in Evil Dead II.... but then there's also Bubba Ho-Tep! Since I've already strayed off-topic in a major way, fans of the creepy-but-funny genre of movies need to check out Ginger Snaps, a Canadian film about two sisters dealing with one of them becoming a Werewolf. Trust me, it's one of the best movies ever!  For some reason the American DVD release is in full screen only, and you have to find a Canadian copy (available online) to get widescreen.

Bill Cahill

Mark, personally, I think you shouldn't let the list to get too busy yet. We are young. Why split it into companies? Let all companies be listed into a group under one heading.
A repair corner would be nice.
But, we have something like that now. Perhaps making it to be more repair specific?

A classified for sale, and, wanted area could be nice if guidelines were given....

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Bill Cahill on October 17, 2008, 06:15:07 AM
Mark, personally, I think you shouldn't let the list to get too busy yet. We are young. Why split it into companies? Let all companies be listed into a group under one heading.

That was sort of my thinking on that...there's no rush.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on October 17, 2008, 06:15:07 AM
A classified for sale, and, wanted area could be nice if guidelines were given....

We've already got a classified area, with guidelines, I might add.  ;)

HobieSport

I kind of like the small forum (not to sound exclusive) and maybe we don't need more topics.  I'm just glad to be here either way.

Mark; off topic but I liked Bruce Cambell in both Evil dead movies and Bubba Ho-Tep was specifically recommended to me by my sister.  Just goes to show my sister has impecable taste.  I actually liked the Brisco County Jr. series also.  So campy and fun.

I just ordered "Ginger Snaps" on netflix.  It certainly does sound creepy and fun.  Did you know that there are two sequels?

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HobieSport on October 19, 2008, 12:33:42 AM
I just ordered "Ginger Snaps" on netflix.  It certainly does sound creepy and fun.  Did you know that there are two sequels?

Hmm...
I may need to add a tacky film area to this forum! Ginger Snaps absolutely rules, but the sequel, Ginger Snaps 2, doesn't measure up.  Still worth seeing, it's more dark and with less of the sick humor of the original.  The third in the series, Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning, is a prequel and a good film indeed.  But the original is the classic!  Be sure and let me know what you think if it.