News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial screws sizes (Plus other telephone screw sizes!)

Started by Greg G., January 28, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

That AE 21 I'm working on only had one screw and one mickey-moused rigged pin that didn't really fit but held it in place.  The one correct screw is a slotted round head, 4-36 X 1/2 inch.  One local place that specializes in screws said they have to special-order them, and they come in quantities of 100 at 52 cents each, i.e. $52 per box of 100.

Another source online said the only charge $4.42 for a box of 100, but they they have a $10 minimum order, plus tax and shipping.  That would be 300 of those little buggers I would have to order. 

So, my question is, how common are 4-36 X 1/2 screws for vintage dial use?  I wouldn't mind buying a quantity if they are commonly used in various phones, but 300 of them is still a bit much. 

Yes, I have other dials to compare, but what a pain it would be to drag them all out and start taking the dials off to compare.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

kleenax

Quote from: Brinybay on January 28, 2013, 05:02:20 PM
That AE 21 I'm working on only had one screw and one mickey-moused rigged pin that didn't really fit but held it in place.  The one correct screw is a slotted round head, 4-36 X 1/2 inch.  One local place that specializes in screws said they have to special-order them, and they come in quantities of 100 at 52 cents each, i.e. $52 per box of 100.

Another source online said the only charge $4.42 for a box of 100, but they they have a $10 minimum order, plus tax and shipping.  That would be 300 of those little buggers I would have to order. 

So, my question is, how common are 4-36 X 1/2 screws for vintage dial use?  I wouldn't mind buying a quantity if they are commonly used in various phones, but 300 of them is still a bit much. 

Yes, I have other dials to compare, but what a pain it would be to drag them all out and start taking the dials off to compare.

Yep; they're all 4-36 screws, albeit of various lengths.  If you bought 300 of them, you would have no problem selling them off to fellow collectors.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

You know, I take that back; some of the North Electric 3" dials seem to balk when you try to switch screws in them, and when you try and use the North-supplied screws with say, a Western Electric dial, they seem to cross-thread. They (the North screws) also have a smaller, almost "fillister" type head on them, and are used with little washers.

So, I will change that to all but North 3" dials  ;)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

paul-f

If you can't find them locally, OPW has them.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=dial+screws

( Dead link - 3/4/24 )
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

kleenax

If you only need a few, I have some. I usually buy 100 a year or so from Paul Vaverchak.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

dencins

Another place to look for 4-36 thread is pre-WWII Lionel train collectors.  Lionel used many different lengths on model trains.  One place you can find them is Train Tender (Jeff Kane).  It looks like the screw in your picture is 5/16" (measure the length of round head machine screws from the bottom of the head to the end of the thread) .  The price listed for 4-36 x 5/16" round head slotted machine screws is a package of 25 for $0.12 each screw.  His site is here:

http://www.ttender.com/partslist.html

Scroll down until you get to screws.  He has several sizes but the longest round head is 5/16".  

Dennis Hallworth

Greg G.

Quote from: dencins on January 28, 2013, 09:07:48 PM
Another place to look for 4-36 thread is pre-WWII Lionel train collectors.  Lionel used many different lengths on model trains.  One place you can find them is Train Tender (Jeff Kane).  It looks like the screw in your picture is 5/16" (measure the length of round head machine screws from the bottom of the head to the end of the thread) .  The price listed for 4-36 x 5/16" round head slotted machine screws is a package of 25 for $0.12 each screw.  His site is here:

Scroll down until you get to screws.  He has several sizes but the longest round head is 5/16". 

Dennis Hallworth

Or maybe even 3/8"?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dencins

Looking at the new picture I would agree with 3/8".

Dennis Hallworth

Greg G.

Quote from: dencins on January 28, 2013, 09:07:48 PM
Another place to look for 4-36 thread is pre-WWII Lionel train collectors.  Lionel used many different lengths on model trains.  One place you can find them is Train Tender (Jeff Kane).  It looks like the screw in your picture is 5/16" (measure the length of round head machine screws from the bottom of the head to the end of the thread) .  The price listed for 4-36 x 5/16" round head slotted machine screws is a package of 25 for $0.12 each screw.  His site is here:

Scroll down until you get to screws.  He has several sizes but the longest round head is 5/16". 

Dennis Hallworth

I finally got around to ordering 25 of the 4-36 x 5/16 from Jeff.  They just came a few days ago, I'm just now monkeying with the dial.  It needs some cosmetic touch-ups before I put it in.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

I have 100 4/36 x 1/4 screws on the way - Anyone who needs a few just email me - you can have them at $0.30 ea plus postage in an envelope, so postage will be very low. I wish they were a bit longer, but for many applications at least in metal cased phones, this will be long enough...

I also have a hundred 1/2 inch long coming for phones with thicker cases - they will be $0.40 ea,

A guess at postage for a few, about $2 as they can be taped to a card in an envelope and stay under the first class letter thickness limits.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi All:

I am trying to compile a list of oddball size screws used on telephones. I would appreciate any suggestions of screws which should be included on this listing for reference which will be included on the forum. E.g.:

Oddball Telephone Screw Sizes:

E1 Spacesaver Bracket Screws 8-36 x ½ Round Head

E1 Spacesaver Dial neck Mounting screws 8-36 x ½ Oval Head

Dial Screws: Slotted Round Head, 4-36 X 1/2 inch, Slotted Round Head, 4-36 X 1/4 inch 

Transmitter screws 2-56. WE transmitter screws unknown but slightly larger than 2-56 (4-32?). Tks poplar1!

*** Note May 24/14: I have just added the following screws to my kit as I find I need these quite often, too.:

*10-32 x 1/4" brass slotted round head machine screws for type 38 ringer gong screws [
PP10848]

*8-32 x 1" screws for the ringer mount screws [PP 6317]

--also--

*Foot screw for 302 phone: 8/32 x 1/4" slotted.

Also #12-24 x 3/4" round head slotted zinc for magneto mounting.

What should be added to this list?

I need to get one of those Drill & Wire Gauge Charts for Machine Screws machinists use and a screw pitch gauge to identify screw sizes to help me in this challenge to correctly measure the screws!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Transmitter screws 2-56. WE transmitter screws--unknown but slightly larger than 2-56.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on July 31, 2013, 07:37:13 PM
Transmitter screws 2-56. WE transmitter screws--unknown but slightly larger than 2-56.
Thanks. I have added them to the list...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

As a result of this thread in the forum, I have just completed putting together a "rescue kit" of oddball sized and commonly needed screws for the museum. For many years now, I have been working off my supply of "rescued screws" - only thing, it is getting harder and harder to find the right screw that I need in it.

As I mentioned above, I have located sources for the more common machine screws, some of which are getting very hard to find. I ordered:

100 - Slotted Round Head, 4-36 X 1/2 inch Dial screws
100 - Slotted Round Head, 4-36 X 1/4 inch Dial screws

100 - 2-56x1/8 inch slotted round head brass face transmitter screws

40 - E1  8-36 x ½ inch Spacesaver Bracket Screws (Could only find Hex socket cap screws, but they will fit and will do the job).

Plus a number of other commonly needed sizes. All are now contained in a labelled plastic parts box, to make finding them much easier than when I was trying to find them in my boxes of mixed recycled screws.

It is amazing how long I managed with my recycled screws (at least 15 years), but it is nice that I now won't have to go searching for that much-needed screw! I am sure there will be times that I will still need to go searching, but not for the most commonly used ones!

Don't overlook other sources of vintage screws (other than telecom equipment). For years I would take in orphan equipment from earlier part of the century and when I scrapped them, every nut and bolt (as well as other useful parts)  in good condition were saved. A lot of what was scrapped were old aviation and commercial radios, large old faxes, copiers, etc. Never discard old hardware. That has saved my butt so many times!

But, I am looking forward to having these properly sorted and located in one place!

Incidentally, aware of the mess I could have if I ever accidentally dropped the box, each size of screw is contained in small self sealing labelled zip lock bags in the compartments of the box. Not only will it protect them from rusting, but it will guard against accidental spillage of the box.  Another life lesson learned long ago (and sadly, more than once)!

Still waiting for more sizes and for my 1/4 inch dial screws. They will hopefully be here early next week and in the box!

I may still have to dip into the 'ol junk box occasionally, but for these sizes, it will be easy to find them. Oddly, I have most other small components in boxes bought at a local dollar store like this one, but never went to the trouble with machine screws.

*** Note May 24/14: I have just added the following screws to my kit as I find I need these quite often, too.:

*10-32 x 1/4" brass slotted round head machine screws for type 38 ringer gong screws [
PP10848]
*8-32 x 1" screws for the ringer mount screws [PP 6317]

--also--

*Foot screw for 302 phone: 8/32 x 1/4" slotted.

Also #12-24 x 3/4" round head slotted zinc for magneto mounting.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

cihensley@aol.com

Good summary of odd ball screws and your method of storing them Dave. Also, if you need a size you don't have, remember Dennis Hallwoth's posting about cutting threads in the shanks of properly sized wood screws. This requires that you have the appropriate die. I found Victor Machinery, which if I remember correctly is in New York, stocks odd ball size dies.

Chuck