"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shiny red 554

Started by McHeath, September 16, 2008, 12:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Now this is pretty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Electric-554-rotary-wall-telephone-phone-RED_W0QQitemZ190252143927QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190252143927&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ( dead link 03-27-21 )

Beats the heck out of my ratty Franken554 that came out of the garage of the 92 year old dude across the street. 

Anyone care to guess on what the final price will be?

bingster

I'm gonna guess... way too much. ;D

By the way, that's the same guy who sold the bluer-than-blue phone.  It's awfully pretty, though.

Here's a question:  This one has a red mounting cord on it.  How many were hooked up in a house by a dangling mounting cord attached to a connector block?  I realize that's the easiest way for modern folks who can't work a screwdriver, but every wall phone I've ever seen has been hardwired to station wire that had been stapled every few inches to the woodwork/plaster/whatever.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

The seller sure put together some pretty words to describe it:

"I am proud to present this stunning '50s Western Electric 554 wall phone in 'Cherry Red' (W.E. color code -53), which is also called 'Coca-Cola Red'."

"I love the look of it—like it fell off a '58 Buick!"

"The 7C dial mechanism has all metal gears for that wonderful "shick-whirr" sound."

"This unit places and receives calls flawlessly and rings like a fire alarm."

"If you've been holding out for the ultimate wall phone, believe me, this is it!  I just know I'm going to regret selling this one.  Bid now before I change my mind!"

All I can say is that if it doesn't bring the big-bucks, it won't be for a lack of trying!  :D

McHeath

Ah, it's from our blue phone seller.  Had not noticed that.  That's a good point about the cord being rather odd for a screw it on the wall phone, hmm.  What's the scoop on the large hook?  Was that really an early deal or what?  What's a phone like this worth?  (Not to John and Jane Q. Public who may end up paying an awful lot for it)

Dennis Markham

That phone is a very nice phone.  I have seen them sell in the $100 range (to collectors) when all parts were similarly dated.  That is a very nice example of a soft plastic Model 554.  I just posted some photos of one I own that had a repair made to a crack on one corner.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=58.0

They were made with a wider hook when first released.  The model 554 was released in 1955 in black and ivory.

Dan/Panther

He probably uses Novus, or Brasso to polish the plastic. I don't think they came high buffed finish, that's why it looks so RED.............
Maybe a few hours elbow grease....
It's nice, but I can hear myself now;, "are you crazy or something don't touch that phone....You'll leave finger prints on it."

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

I already go around wiping handsets off, if I owned the Red Wonderâ„¢ I'd be all over people like white on rice when they touched it.

"Nooo!  Don't use that phone!  Get your cell out to make a call."

McHeath

The phone is up to $237.50 at present. 

Wow.  I gotta get out a can of candy apple red krylon and get the ol' Franken554 e-bay ready.

McHeath

Final price, $360.00.

Clearly I'm in the wrong business.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: McHeath on September 21, 2008, 11:01:37 PM
Final price, $360.00.

Clearly I'm in the wrong business.

$360?!!  Holy Cow!  I've got a lovely Moss Green 554 that I'd just love to get $360 for!  ;)