News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PP 2000 or the 60A How much do you know about it ?

Started by Payphone installer, May 19, 2018, 08:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the 60A public payphone plus?

Payphone installer

I was down at the barn today and found some old AT&T PP2000 also known as the 60A. I thought I would post some pictures.

Payphone installer

I found three of them I put down there years ago, I used to install these back in the 90's. These are the boxes they used to come in.

HarrySmith

They look pretty cool! Are they TTY or data? Do they work?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Payphone installer

Here's some pictures of one in the box.

Payphone installer

These things weighted 80 pounds in the box. They were difficult to install. after they were out for a while At&t came out with a keyboard for the front. You could send email as I recall and do some minor internet searches. That was soon halted based on a lawsuit from MCI.   Here are the instructions in the box. The 29A lock was number 201. It was specific to AT&T.

mentalstampede

Whoa! Do those require a significant amount of unavailable infrastructure to make work like the Nortel Millenniums do?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Payphone installer

Yes they will not work without a download from the data base first. These were the big brother of the 30 & 31A's,they had on board hard drives and no longer required the data pair as they called the data base instead, the same as the millennium. One of the reasons I am explaining this is there is a lot of misunderstanding of how a hybrid set works verses a dumb set or smart set. The hybrids are pretty  much useless once the dial up data bases are gone. I was fortunate enough to be involved in the public business from 1978 till today and have lived all the way through the entire process right up to the only remaining technology that exist which is inmate telephone systems. They still have a lot of these same processes built into them but much more advanced. They are still payphones.

Payphone installer

Here are some examples of some old AT&T test cards. The guys name on the test card died many years ago as the history did.

Key2871

I remember Paul Vaverchack talking about these when I was asking about the AT&T private payphone plus. I seem to recall he said he had a couple, or knew someone who had some. I believe it was you, I told him I wasn't interested in those, but a ppp would be cool. He had several I got one new in box. Dumb of course, then I had a chassis from another a few years later.
And had a guy who said he could re program it. But something happened, it changed too much and became useless to me. I had to deposit a quarter to answer the phone.
So I resold the chassis to someone else.
But it's nice to hear about how they operated, and at that time it was pretty advanced. Thanks for the information.
KEN

Payphone installer

Paul was very interested in the AT&T stuff we talked all the time. He bought out the remains of the NJ location. When I bought out the remaining piece of his estate he still had quite a few 3A's which I now have. He was the one who I pointed to 5,000'locks when they were sold to a refurbisher many years ago by me at Cincinnati Bell. That's where all the 14 locks you see being sold around came from with two keys. That's another great story. Paul was a great guy,I miss him. I ended up buying all his rare payphones including the 50A stuff.

Key2871

Yea, I hear you. I learned a lot from him. I miss calling and getting part's. I got some of those locks from Paul, I remember him saying " I have some with two keys and when there gone there gone, I don't see me getting more".
We all lost a good man when he passed. He talked about you and all you did to help him too.
KEN

kleenax

Quote from: Key2871 on May 19, 2018, 10:07:22 PM
Yea, I hear you. I learned a lot from him. I miss calling and getting part's. I got some of those locks from Paul, I remember him saying " I have some with two keys and when there gone there gone, I don't see me getting more".
We all lost a good man when he passed. He talked about you and all you did to help him too.
Jim; I miss him a lot too. I just today played one the videos I have of Paul telling us a story at the breakfast table at one of our visits to his place. Always looked forward to bringing him his "Dunkin Donuts" every time I visited him; he ALWAYS insisted that I bring the donuts, and he would "put the coffee on" for us! VERY happy that his special stuff went to you, for sure.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC