News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

40 year quest for color 302’s

Started by skyrider, October 11, 2018, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Nice find Bill, congratulations. Tough to win when everybody bids in the last 8 seconds.
Gary

skyrider

Thanks Gary, luckily there were only 2 of us bidding.

Bill

rdelius

The ringer was built by SC for a WE mount.Set was likely used by an independent telephone co with an XY switch.COT bought loads of 302 sets from Heins Telephone in Sanford NC that were equiptd that way

paul-f

Quote from: skyrider on October 11, 2018, 09:00:45 PM
More photos hope this helps.

Thanks for the extra photos, Bill.

It's great to see part of your collection, too!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

skyrider

Thanks for the information on the ringer on the blue 302. A frequency ringer is a odd sight on a Wester Electric phone.

Bill

kleenax

Quote from: skyrider on October 23, 2018, 09:50:41 PM
I would like to enter my Western Electric blue 302 telephone in the find of the month contest. eBay auction of $535.00 free shipping. Mostly dates of late 1949.

Bill Compton
Bill;  I have a NICE 5J dial that would go with your phone rather well if you are interested.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

Since that was a special built ringer by SC to fit the 302 it might be worth keeping even if you swap it for the correct WE ringer. There can't be that many out there, I have seen hundreds of 302's and that is the first one with that ringer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

skyrider

Yes Harry I plan to leave the frequency ringer in the blue 302. Later I will change the finger wheel to a plastic one. It will be a display phone not in use.

Bill

Payphone installer

Are you aware of the soft plastic colored 302?

poplar1

It is actually a 251 tel set, not a 302. Notice the difference in the ringer mounting bracket, which is compatible with the existing Stromberg-Carlson frequency selective ringer, the Kellogg freq. sel. ringer, or a WE B-type ringer.

The housing appears to have been H 1. Rather than restamp it with "AB1" for a 251 tel. set mounting, they simply removed the 1.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Payphone installer on October 26, 2018, 10:36:59 AM
Are you aware of the soft plastic colored 302?
Jim....I am. I have owned them in Ivory, green and red. Rumors of an Old Rose and Blue. All had painted matching F1s. All that I saw looked pretty much the same except the RED.  Blood red, same color as a soft plastic 500 set. That is the keeper. There are a few on the Forum that own one.

To me, the soft plastic red 302 is the rarest of the color 302s. Blues turn up all the time.

When was the last you saw a Blood Red soft plastic 302 for sale? ....Doug
Kidphone

skyrider

Jim, I was aware of the blood red 302. It makes sense that housings would change to any new material being used by Western Electric.

David, thanks for the information that it is a 251 set. I had wondered about the circle covering the second character on the blue housing.

Bill

Doug Rose

This is a Blood Red 302 with other WE 1955 Blood Red Phones, sorry really old pictures....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9935.msg105715#msg105715
Kidphone