"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting started learning everything about Candlestick phone

Started by Mark in Chesapeake VA, February 25, 2015, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark in Chesapeake VA

Hello everyone,
I have just acquired a Automatic Electric Step Base Candlestick phone. I want to learn how to rewire it and learn the parts and the part names. Is there documentation for me  to start with ?

dsk

Hi and welcome.
Candlestick telephones are covered in the book Old-Time Telephones! by Ralph O. Meyer.  This book covers lots of phones but they have plenty of common parts, and ways to work. 

If you post some photos, people here will usually guide you trough the process, and you will often see it may need surprisingly little work to be OK. To look as new, well that may be more of a job.

dsk

Russ Kirk

Welcome!  Is this your first telephone in your collection?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

stub

Mark in Chesapeake VA,
                           Welcome to the CRPF! Post some pics of the inside of the receiver and base plate to see what you have.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Quote from: Mark in Chesapeake VA on February 25, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
Hello everyone,
I have just acquired a Automatic Electric Step Base Candlestick phone. I want to learn how to rewire it and learn the parts and the part names. Is there documentation for me  to start with ?

Without photos of your deskstand it is difficult to point you in the right direction. However, a good starting point would be for you to browse through some of the Automatic Electric catalogs in the TCI Library.

You can download a catalog that includes  the type-21 deskstand, from this link:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/document-repository/catalogs-manuals/automatic-electric/doc_details/11195-aeco-catalog-4055-d-1944-ocr-r

In addition to descriptions and photos, parts diagrams are also shown.

Also, a quick search of the Library will yield wiring diagrams once you narrow down the specific model.