News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don't tell my wife, but I bought a 302 today...

Started by deedubya3800, September 12, 2010, 05:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

Quote from: wds2185 on September 23, 2010, 02:55:14 PM
I've always admired the WE 354 - very modern and classic design for a 60+ year old phone.  I purchased one for cheap, and wasn't sure it was worth the $15 I paid for it.  Turned out pretty nice, with no cracks, chips, and only a few scuff marks.  Everything on the inside is dated 5-50, including the handset parts.  I have a dial on the way dated II 50 which I'll probably install.  I prefer the older phones, but I couldn't help but add this one to my 302 phone.   

That's exactly why I want one. I want a wall companion for my 302. Plus, I just love the look of them anyway. :)

And also, my wife knows about the 302 now. At least she saw it. I'm not sure if she even realizes it's something I didn't already have. All I do know is that she thinks they're ugly. She wants one of those "French" phones from the 1970s! :D

Dennis Markham

Imagine that....the thousand dollar 354 didn't get any bids.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

Quote from: McHeath on September 13, 2010, 10:26:27 PM
You know this little "hobby" of yours is going to get totally out of control.  You start out with just wanting one 500 to finish off the display, or oh a 354 would be kinda cool.....

Well, I found my 500 today. It's a 1956 in really good shape, just dusty with tape residue. I haven't gotten it out yet, but based on what the seller tells me, I think the ringer is probably wired to ground. I find that a lot on these older phones, but it's no problem.

Now where's that 354? ;D

deedubya3800

Update: The 500 I mentioned is now in this thread: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3505.0
I also have a 352 or 354 on the way. But then I'm done for now. For real.

But back to this 302, I took the dial out this week so I could clean it up better and make sure everything inside is in good shape.

Here are a few pictures. The first is me remembering to photograph the wires so I could get them back just like they were. Then I couldn't resist photographing my 302 shell completely separated from the rest of the phone (aside from the dial gasket, which I later cleaned), which I had never seen before. Third is the dial plate, which is a full decade younger than the rest of the phone (no wonder it's in such good shape). Finally is the back of the dial, which I had not seen until then. It is a 5H* dated 2-48.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the paper shield that goes behind the dial plate was in really cruddy condition, being warped and damaged by dampness, so I made a new one. That was an adventure.