News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue, old and new

Started by finlover, September 29, 2010, 01:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

As you all know, Western Electric only offered Mediterranean Blue from '54 to '56, earning it "holy grail" status along with Oxford Gray, Mahogany Brown, and Rose Beige.  But did you know W.E. resurrected it as Country Blue in the '80s (or late '70s--help me out here, paul-f)?

Here's a 2500 I wish I still had, if only to serve as a contrast to my Med. Blue 501.  I know it's touch tone and modular, but it's still pretty I think.

finlover

more

Phonesrfun

503-659 (was OLive 9) is a prefix in the Clackamas, Milwaukie, Oregon City area arount Portland, OR.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Bell brought back the blue in 1976 for trimlines. These were supposedly 100th anniversery colors for 1976. I was told that they resurected all of the 500 set colors for the anniversery trimlines. The only ones that seem common(?) are the blue and old rose. These are the fat-mod, transformer powered trimlines.

I think the 1976 "anniversary" trimlines were made from around1975-1977.

The blue and old rose were re-released on trimlines around 1983. The blue was also avaliable for the 2500,500,554, Princess and trimline (that I know of).

The blues vary slightly in color.

Starting around 1983 some of the other "retired" colors started making comebacks. This includes a violet trimline and a peach color, forest green also made a comeback.
I have seen early examples of these colors as well as 1983-84 re-releases of these very HTF colors.

JMO,
JIm

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Adam

I love that blue too!  I can't afford a 500 in the original blue, but I just won this from eBay!  I'll post a nicer picture when I receive the phone.  Luckily, I have some NOS blue modular handset cords already in my parts box.

Also below is my blue Western Electric/AT&T Trimline.  If you're going after one of these, beware of the ones branded "Pacbell" or "Southwest Bell".  They're not Western Electric, but poorly made knock-offs.  Below is a "real" one!   :)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

This blue is so hard to photograph!  Here's another shot of the trimline using flash this time.  The color is somewhere in between there...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Oh.  The trimline is a different blue, isn't it?  It's a darker "teal blue".
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

baldopeacock

Quote from: masstel on September 29, 2010, 09:37:29 PM
Oh.  The trimline is a different blue, isn't it?  It's a darker "teal blue".

Not sure.   I've seen the late 500 and Trimline in Country Blue side by side, a friend has them, and in that instance the color was the same.

finlover

Great score, masstel!  I think that 500 and the Trimline ARE the same color, it's just that the ebay phone may be a bit yellowed.  It's sometimes hard to tell in a photograph.

Adam

As I proved with my photos!   :)

Thanks, baldo and fin.  We'll know in about a week...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

McHeath

It's a great color, and seems to command good prices even in the 1980's versions.  I was following a "country blue" 500 this week on e-bay and it went for 32 dollars, quite a lot for such a late model 500.  It's amusing eh how it's name went from being the exotic "Mediterranean Blue" of the 1950's to the cozy "Country Blue" of the late 70's and 80's.

I saw a Trimline in this color at a local junk store this summer, but it was badly badly yellowed and would have taken a lot more sanding than I was willing to put in. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 29, 2010, 01:44:06 AM
503-659 (was OLive 9) is a prefix in the Clackamas, Milwaukie, Oregon City area arount Portland, OR.

And since I'm the closest, you need to send it to me.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Does anyone have a dated catalog, ad or other marketing literature that names the newer color?  There seems to be a lot of info before 1975, but not a lot after that.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

I have several, still sealed in the bag, NOS blue modular handset cords.  They are marked:

H4DU 145 STD
TEAL BLUE

That help?
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820