News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 27, 2020, 12:19:14 PM
One of the other issues is that surgical masks are often fitted to the person's face to be as close-fitting as possible, but Average Joe on the street won't have fitted it properly leaving it open around the edges, basically making it more of a decoration than a filter...
For me, I'm not inclined to touch my face when wearing gloves, plus they can be discarded after visiting the store (washing isn't much of an option).

As for the masks, i'm amazed at the number of people wearing the mask on their chin - nose and/or mouth not covered...

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

I did a small part in helping yesterday. On the local news they were asking people donate any extra unused Masks, Gloves and Face shields to help with the shortage. I had a unopened box of Nitrile gloves in the cupboard. I dropped them off at my family doctor's office. The were happy to get them. They said someone had dropped off some N95 Masks earlier in the week.

I would like to give a big shout out to all essential front line workers, no matter where they are. Thank you for your service!

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on March 27, 2020, 08:29:43 PM
Very interesting John. Thanks for posting.

Here is the last map from above processed a bit showing where all of those 870,000 individual cell phones that were identified on just one beach in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, week after spring break ended. Interesting but scary stuff.

I overlaid a map of the US and labeled the brightest spots. The bright spots correlate well with major universities. Will be interesting to see if the spots, other than NYC, become medical hot spots in a week or two. Knowing what we do about NYC now, it could be that infected students from NYC went to Fort Lauderdale and spread the virus around to others. The newly infected have returned to their homes or universities and continued to spread it there. Ignorance and stupidity is the bane of mankind.

Key2871

KEN

twocvbloke

Just been to my local Tesco store for a top-up shop, and they've implemented distancing and limitations, with lines everywhere to ensure customers stay at least 6ft or 2 metres apart, maximum of 40 customers in the store, operating a one-out, one-in system with bouncers at the door, and trolleys being sanitised as they're dropped off at the trolley shed thing, quite the experience, felt a little unnerving really...

Key2871

I stopped in the local groseriy store yesterday, I found hand sanitizer a plenty, soaps etc...
No toilet paper still, not one roll.
It's possible they aren't full stocking the shelves but putting out only a little at a time to curb hoarding.
I've seen that before in the same store.
But everyone is maintaining 6' or 2 meters as well some much more. And I'm glad of that.
KEN

FABphones

I read today that the UK has spent 5.8 million pounds sterling writing a letter to every resident in the UK about the virus. This letter was also published on Twitter and no doubt elsewhere. In this day and age with all the alternative communication options available I consider this an unnecessary waste of money.

5.8 million pounds would have been better spent on the many requirements of the health service.

Utter stupidity.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

One bit of advice for the lines, I bought a folding 3 ft. high stool that I used for the labyrinthine lines at the driver's license office.  It comes in handy for many occasions.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

That's good advise, I'm handicap so having a place to sit and portable is good. Though I don't get into many situations where there are long lines to stand in.
KEN

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Thankfully the line at tesco moved fairly quickly, I'd already moved two positions before I could take the picture above, people were going around the store relatively quickly so the one-out one-in scheme was processed quickly... :)

HarrySmith

One additional thing I have noticed that is directly related to this pandemic is a new type of litter. Gloves! Plastic gloves, latex gloves, cloth gloves, you name it, all over parking lots, gas stations etc. The worst seems to be the supermarkets, I could not believe all the gloves I saw strewn all over the place yesterday at my local market! C'mon people! Use a trash can!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: TelePlay on March 28, 2020, 01:24:32 PM
Here is the last map from above processed a bit showing where all of those 870,000 individual cell phones that were identified on just one beach in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, week after spring break ended. Interesting but scary stuff.

I overlaid a map of the US and labeled the brightest spots. The bright spots correlate well with major universities. Will be interesting to see if the spots, other than NYC, become medical hot spots in a week or two. Knowing what we do about NYC now, it could be that infected students from NYC went to Fort Lauderdale and spread the virus around to others. The newly infected have returned to their homes or universities and continued to spread it there. Ignorance and stupidity is the bane of mankind.

John, that is very scary stuff! Ignorance and stupidity, you are being too kind!

Babybearjs

:( I just found out that a good friend of mine tested positive. its starting to hit home now....
John

twocvbloke