"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Desk Phone Won't Stop Ringing

Started by gands-antiques, March 28, 2020, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I need some help troubleshooting my AE 80 Desk phone.

All functions of the phone work eccept the ringer doesn't stop ringing when the handset is lifted.

I verified all of the wiring is correct using TCI Wiring Diagram AE80 NC-WA1154A Network, AE80, Self-Compensating NC 802 Telephone Set.  (Both sets of terminal numbers match my terminal numbers)

When wired to the diagram, the ringer rings but does not stop when handset is lifted.

Next, I made all of the changes (A-G steps) listed at the top right side of then diagram "To Convert To Hook" and the ringer still doesn't stop ringing.

Any assistance would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Jack Ryan

Quote from: gands-antiques on March 28, 2020, 10:24:59 PM
All functions of the phone work eccept the ringer doesn't stop ringing when the handset is lifted.

So you can lift the handset and get dial tone, dial a number which breaks dial tone and then have a conversation.

And yet lifting the handset does not trip ringing with an incoming call.

Let's just verify that first.

Jack
(Corrected)

dsk

Sounds strange,
1) Test with another phone answering works OKthen it may, but I'm not sure that the hook switch or pulse switch may need cleaning. Test:2) Make a strap 1 tp shoreten dial pulses, test.
3) make strap 2A and test.4) move strap 2A and put it as 2B and test.
With both green straps you will not be able to hang up.

dsk

RB

Well friends, I am certainly no authority on phone wiring, but...
Would not moving the L2 end of the jumper between ring cap # 9 & L2, to contact #6 solve your problem?
otherwise, what is the purpose of the # 6 contact? ???

dsk

Quote from: RB on March 29, 2020, 08:04:18 AM
Well friends, I am certainly no authority on phone wiring, but...
Would not moving the L2 end of the jumper between ring cap # 9 & L2, to contact #6 solve your problem?
otherwise, what is the purpose of the # 6 contact? ???
Absolutely, when it comes to stop the sound of the ringer, but will the phone seize the line, and give the signal to the exchange to stop sending the ring signal? Probably not.

dsk

RB

Ok. So the exchange needs to feel the load of the ringer,
"plus" the added load of the phone components,
to sense that the phone has been answered?

gands-antiques

Thanks for all of the feedback. 

I stand corrected....After I made the 7 wire position changes described in the "To Convert To Hook" (A-G steps) section,  I tested with my RS tester and the ringer rang and didn't stop ringing as it did before I made the changes (Not on my landline).  Connected to my landline, it is not doing anything... no dial tone , no dialing out, no ringing , etc.

Do you agree the wire location changes were necessary or should I move the 7 wires back to their original positions?

I will try the strapping suggestions but I'm not sure if I should leave the changed wires where they are or should be moved back to their original positions before I do the strapping.  Please advise

Thanks.
Gary                       

dsk

The best will probably be to go back to the original.  I'm not sure how the tester works, but a land line stops ringing when the dc load from the voice path is connected.   

dsk

gands-antiques

Thanks for the information....

I reversed the position of the 7 wires to their original posiitions.

The phone is now accomplishing all functions Except ringing. It dials out, receives calls (Without ringing) and voice transmission and reception is loud and clear.

I triple checked all of the connections according to the wiring diagram and I checked for shorts anywhere and found non.  I also cleaned all of the contacks.

I do have a a few questions about the wiring diagram.....

- Where does the RED Hook Switch wire go to connect to terminal 23 or 2 ?

- There is a BROWN Hook Switch wire that connects to terminal #2.   

- There is also a Brown wire with a Dashed Line that connects the Dial to termial 9.  I don't know what the Dashed line means? and there are only 4 terminals on the disal so I don't where an additional brown wire would connect to? 

My line cord has only 2 conductors (no yrllow). The diagram describes conection of the third/yellow conductor and I'm wondering if it is really necessary.

Thanks,
Gary

RB

Terms 2 and 23 appear to be internally connected?
Brn dashed line appears to be an option for a different dial, prob ignore it.
Yel usually not needed, cept for grounded ringing?
if not ringing, take a 9 volt batt, and touch between 15 and 16, then reverse.
shud hear a ding.
Cap may be open?? or ringer open.
a vom shud tell you if ringer open or not.
Regards

gands-antiques

I connected a 9 volt battery to terminals 15 & 16 and I got no ring. Then I reversed the leads on the battery and still got no ring.

I put a volt meter between terminal 8 and 15 and I got a voltage reading and then I put the probes on 8 and 16 and I also got a voltage reading but I didn't get a ring with either connection.

It's really weird that I couldn't get the ringers to stop ringing yesterday and now I get them to ring at all.

Gary

dsk

Quote from: gands-antiques on March 29, 2020, 06:21:34 PM
Thanks for the information....

I reversed the position of the 7 wires to their original posiitions.

The phone is now accomplishing all functions Except ringing. It dials out, receives calls (Without ringing) and voice transmission and reception is loud and clear.

I triple checked all of the connections according to the wiring diagram and I checked for shorts anywhere and found non.  I also cleaned all of the contacks.

I do have a a few questions about the wiring diagram.....

- Where does the RED Hook Switch wire go to connect to terminal 23 or 2 ?
Red wire from hook sw. should go to terminal 2, but since 2 and 24 are interconnected it does not matter.  

- There is a BROWN Hook Switch wire that connects to terminal #2.   
Yes 

- There is also a Brown wire with a Dashed Line that connects the Dial to termial 9.  I don't know what the Dashed line means? and there are only 4 terminals on the disal so I don't where an additional brown wire would connect to? 
The dashed brown wire is only used for a special partyline service.  

My line cord has only 2 conductors (no yrllow). The diagram describes conection of the third/yellow conductor and I'm wondering if it is really necessary.
2 wires are enough but in that case you have to put a strap from 9 to 6 or 8 (both works).   This is essential to get ringing! 

Thanks,
Gary

dsk

dsk

Quote from: gands-antiques on March 29, 2020, 10:13:53 PM
I connected a 9 volt battery to terminals 15 & 16 and I got no ring. Then I reversed the leads on the battery and still got no ring.

I put a volt meter between terminal 8 and 15 and I got a voltage reading and then I put the probes on 8 and 16 and I also got a voltage reading but I didn't get a ring with either connection.

It's really weird that I couldn't get the ringers to stop ringing yesterday and now I get them to ring at all.

Gary

The ringer will not work on battery power, it will need AC of approx 20 Hz and probably a voltage of at least 50V (may be dangerous, or at least uncomfortable to touch)

dsk

RB

Quote from: dsk on March 30, 2020, 12:36:29 AM
The ringer will not work on battery power, it will need AC of approx 20 Hz and probably a voltage of at least 50V (may be dangerous,
or at least uncomfortable to touch)

dsk
I like that!
My suggestion was only a test.
I have found that using an ohm meter to trace lines has resulted in a tiny ding. "IF" the polarity is in favor of the non restricted travel of the clapper.
Due to it being an electromagnet, will sometimes cause the clapper to quiver enuf to get a gentle ding, just one, but a gentle ding.
but certainly, not a sustained ring. but that is enuf to verify the ringer is not open.
Regards and happy monday!

gands-antiques

Thanks to all for the great help with this phone.   

I got the phone to ring today by jumping terminals 9 and 8. 

The ring is not near as loud/strong as a 302 ringer but at least it is ringing.  The position of the gongs is very sensitive to making it ring or not ring.   

Looking from the dial end of the phone, the gong closest to the dial is not being contacted by the striker when the gong is fully rotated to the closest position. I thought about bending the striker rod but I thought I might mess it up. It might ber tho only way to get it to contact the gong??

Is there a way make the striker contact both gongs. Also, is there a way to increase the volume of the ringer?

The striker is a 1/2" long brass cylinder x 3/8" diameter.  Does it matter where the brass striker contacts the gongs?

I cleaned the contacts on the ringer.

Thanks again,

Gary