"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 Earlier Red 500s Bought on eBay for 38.55

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 19, 2014, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 20, 2014, 01:35:09 PM
I think that "Goo Gone" will dissolve the plastic!  Before using any product on the plastic, try a tiny amount first on the inside of the shell.

Larry

I hope not, because I have used it on many phone already! Of course, I go over it with a rag and some Novus, so maybe that cures the issue?

Ben

LarryInMichigan

Many substances which are safe on ABS plastic will dissolve tenite, so it is best to avoid using anything without testing it first on the inside of the shell.  I think that any petroleum based solvent will dissolve tenite.  If you find out too late that the substance that you used is dissolving the plastic, no amount of Novus polish will fix the problem.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 20, 2014, 02:48:03 PM
Many substances which are safe on ABS plastic will dissolve tenite, so it is best to avoid using anything without testing it first on the inside of the shell.  I think that any petroleum based solvent will dissolve tenite.  If you find out too late that the substance that you used is dissolving the plastic, no amount of Novus polish will fix the problem.

Larry

Ah, thank you, I will try it on another phone, but just to be safe, I think I will just soak it or something.

Ben

AE40FAN

I have a 6/59 red and it is indeed soft plastic.  As for cleaning, a simple soak in hot soapy dish water and a soft brush usually does the trick.  For stubborn residue I've had great results with concentrated "purple power" on a rag just keep it away from date stampings.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE40FAN on January 20, 2014, 03:16:27 PM
I have a 6/59 red and it is indeed soft plastic.  As for cleaning, a simple soak in hot soapy dish water and a soft brush usually does the trick.  For stubborn residue I've had great results with concentrated "purple power" on a rag just keep it away from date stampings.

Thanks,

I have been writing up a list for what I need to buy, as I have always gone simple, with household cleaners.

Ben

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 20, 2014, 02:48:03 PM
Many substances which are safe on ABS plastic will dissolve tenite,
I think that any petroleum based solvent will dissolve tenite.
No, this is not true.
Even gasolines do not dissolve Tenite.
Neither would Goo Gone.

For dissolving Tenite one needs a bit more polar organic solvents, like many ketones (acetone, MEK), esters, halogenated hydrocarbons. The solvents that do actually dissolve it are a small minority overall. However, many do soften or cause swelling over prolonged exposure.

LarryInMichigan

I guess that I have just been unlucky and managed to find the things that do dissolve it.  I was working on some clock parts a few months ago using a rag with acetone.  Later, I noticed that the rag had moved a bit and was touching a soft plastic ivory WE 500 on my desk.  The acetone did n=some minor damage to the front of the shell.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 20, 2014, 04:33:50 PM
I guess that I have just been unlucky and managed to find the things that do dissolve it.  I was working on some clock parts a few months ago using a rag with acetone.  Later, I noticed that the rag had moved a bit and was touching a soft plastic ivory WE 500 on my desk.  The acetone did n=some minor damage to the front of the shell.

Larry
Indeed, you have to be very careful with acetone and MEK.  Both are common solvents and they are excellent solvents for all the cellulosics, like Tenite.

kleinkaliber

Got my fingers crossed that the one phone is soft plastic. I'm betting it will be.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: kleinkaliber on January 20, 2014, 08:15:10 PM
Got my fingers crossed that the one phone is soft plastic. I'm betting it will be.

Me too, I really hope it is! I am also worried it could break in shipping, if it really is soft plastic.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Well they came, and I am super excited to report...

The 11/58 is a completely matching dates set, (besides I forgot to check cords) and it being soft plastic, it is a survivor from cracks. A good cleaning, dial maintenance, and shine and it will be back to its original beauty.

(I decided to not take pics of the other phone, as it was just a regular one)

Here are the before pics of the 11/58, I cannot wait to restore the phone:

Ben

WesternElectricBen

More pics

WesternElectricBen

Last two.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only