News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shrinkage

Started by Kenny C, January 09, 2011, 11:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I have a 302 housing from 1947 that had shrunk to the base so I took it off and whittled it out to where it would fit on the base it fit perfectly. I set it to the side and went on my way i came back a week or so later. and it barley fits now. Is this odd? I have never had one to shrink. My 1952 fits great. Any help guys?
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Kenny, is it a soft plastic 302?   I had a couple of nice 302 housings for a few years, When I finally needed 1 I discovered they were soft plastic and had shrunk to much to even fit over 2 corners of the base.

I also have a clear plastic small plunger 302 housing, a lot of the bottom edge was broken, I was able to put it snugly on a base and it was fine for a couple of years, Then it shrunk and was hard to remove.

Note : this one is the clear lucite type plastic vs clear soft plastic. I don't think the lucite type typically shrinks enough to stick.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

I remove the high spot on the inside of my 302 cases with a Dremel Tool. Some say I shouldn't do this, but I would rather remove a little material where it won't show, then to suffer a crack.

Kenny;
I'm surprised that after you whittled out the base it still shrunk more, I've never had that happen.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

It is Tentite. It hasn't srunken any more. D/P I whittled the housing down.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

You mentioned you came back a week later and it was very snug again.  This is what I was referring to. Did you have to remove more material after the first time ?
The spots I remove are the bumps at each corner.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

Yes, it was very snug after a week or two but it hasn't gotten any more snug after that. I havn't fooled with it much latley its on my dresser  ::). Now where are these spot's, on the base or the housing?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010