"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ughh.. 1972 Multiline wall phone-A couple questions

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 01, 2013, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

Today I'm working on my ITT multiline wall phone. I have a couple questions, that would help me if you could answer for me.

1: Can anyone referrer to me a schematic
2:I took the switchhook apart and does it matter the order of wires when I put it back togeather?
3: Will I have to do any converting?
4: Can I just hook it up straight to the network like a regular 500 as I'm not on a multiline system

Thanks so much, if you need pictures I can supply them!
Ben

poplar1

You can connect the incoming line to 1T and 1R and use it by pushing the L1 button. I've never tried to take one of these switches apart but yes, it does make a difference what order you put it back together again.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 01, 2013, 09:47:58 PM
You can connect the incoming line to 1T and 1R and use it by pushing the L1 button. I've never tried to take one of these switches apart but yes, it does make a difference what order you put it back together again.

Ok, thank you. Now the problem is remembering the order of the wires on the switch... The reason I took it apart was that it was almost stuck..
Ben

G-Man

Most likely intended for use on a 1A2 key system and while the wiring should be pretty straight-forward, it always helps to include the model number of the telephone you are inquiring about; especially since there are dozens of different models.

That said, popular1 has provided you with the basic info for putting it into service on individual lines.

For all of the features to be available, a key service unit is needed. If you attended yesterday's southern California show you could have snag one of several that were given away or purchased others that went for very little.

If you still need a schematic let us know what the model number is and we can send it to you.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on June 02, 2013, 09:16:21 AM
Most likely intended for use on a 1A2 key system and while the wiring should be pretty straight-forward, it always helps to include the model number of the telephone you are inquiring about; especially since there are dozens of different models.

That said, popular1 has provided you with the basic info for putting it into service on individual lines.

For all of the features to be available, a key service unit is needed. If you attended yesterday's southern California show you could have snag one of several that were given away or purchased others that went for very little.

If you still need a schematic let us know what the model number is and we can send it to you.

Ok, thank you! I will be working it on it later today so then I should be able to find it out.
Ben

AE_Collector

1A2 KSU's are an item that constantly seem to stay dirt cheap so anyone wanting to make a key set work properly should just go for it and buy one.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 02, 2013, 12:54:01 PM
1A2 KSU's are an item that constantly seem to stay dirt cheap so anyone wanting to make a key set work properly should just go for it and buy one.

Terry

I don't think my mother would be too happy with me...
Ben

Jim Stettler

Ben,
You can get a shoebox KSU free or cheap. Join the TCI listserve and mention you are young  want to find a cheap shoebox ksu at the Lancaster show.
I bet you will get one.
JMO,
Jim

If us old guys want to cash out on our collections, we need to infect young folks with TCS "Telephone Collecting Syndrome" it is incurable but non-fatal.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on June 02, 2013, 04:26:10 PM
Ben,
You can get a shoebox KSU free or cheap. Join the TCI listserve and mention you are young  want to find a cheap shoebox ksu at the Lancaster show.
I bet you will get one.
JMO,
Jim

If us old guys want to cash out on our collections, we need to infect young folks with TCS "Telephone Collecting Syndrome" it is incurable but non-fatal.

Oh, now that I remember that... I had a friend I met at the show trying to dig one up for me.... So I probably won't be converting it then. Then the bigger problem will be figuring it out!

Ben

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on June 02, 2013, 06:29:48 PM
Ben,
The TCI library is your friend.
JMO,
Jim

I know, I know, this is pathetic. A young person couldn't figure out how to sign up.... Though I'm going to keep trying!
Ben

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 02, 2013, 05:05:13 PM
Then the bigger problem will be figuring it out!
Ben

Repeat after me:
Tip
Ring
A
A1
Lamp Ground
Lamp

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 03, 2013, 12:03:11 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 02, 2013, 05:05:13 PM
Then the bigger problem will be figuring it out!
Ben

Repeat after me:
Tip
Ring
A
A1
Lamp Ground
Lamp

Oh!! Thank you Terry. I will remember this!!
Ben

AE_Collector

Each line has those 6 connections from the 1A2 card to the line key via the Amphenol Plug. Of course each 1A2 card has the phone line or PBX station line connected to it by on another pair and has a "Common Audible" ringing pair output so there are 5 pairs associated with each phone line on the line card of which 3 go directly to the key on the key set.

Terry