"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 Won't break dial tone

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 10, 2013, 02:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I just finished resorting a WE 302 and I went to test it to dial out and it didn't break dial tone. I did a rebuild on the rotary and made sure to put the wires back where they go... I'm not sure if it worked before I did the dial rebuild or not...

If you have any ideas or know how the dial should be hooked up that would be great. I'm open to anything.
Ben

Phonesrfun

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 02:34:32 PM
Hi,

I just finished resorting a WE 302 and I went to test it to dial out and it didn't break dial tone. I did a rebuild on the rotary and made sure to put the wires back where they go... I'm not sure if it worked before I did the dial rebuild or not...

If you have any ideas or know how the dial should be hooked up that would be great. I'm open to anything.
Ben

Here is a link to the diagram in the TCI library.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/western-electric/doc_details/2154-300-series-desk-telephones-302-5302-tl
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Here is a colorized diagram from our own wiring diagram thread;
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2761.0
There is also more diagrams there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 10, 2013, 04:33:36 PM
Here is a colorized diagram from our own wiring diagram thread;
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2761.0
There is also more diagrams there.

Thank you, the color diagrams are much easier for me to understand.
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 10, 2013, 04:08:34 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 02:34:32 PM
Hi,

Ben

Here is a link to the diagram in the TCI library.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/western-electric/doc_details/2154-300-series-desk-telephones-302-5302-tl

Thanks!

WesternElectricBen

I checked over those sketches and it still won't dial out..  :( might it be the dials fault?
Ben

Phonesrfun

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 07:12:50 PM
......might it be the dials fault?
Ben

Maybe...

Did you do anything to the dial?

If so, what, and do you have pictures of what you have now?  It is very difficult to tell you without much more information.  Once a telephone is disassembled and re-wired, literally anything can be the case.

Please provide more information.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 10, 2013, 07:17:07 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 07:12:50 PM
......might it be the dials fault?
Ben

Maybe...

Did you do anything to the dial?

If so, what, and do you have pictures of what you have now?  It is very difficult to tell you without much more information.  Once a telephone is disassembled and re-wired, literally anything can be the case.

Please provide more information.

Yes, I did rebuild the dial, I tried to ask this earlier but no one really thought anything was wrong through the pictures, who knew.

But here you go, I think the "ticker" isn't really "ticking" as it doesn't move... Then when I manualy set it it doesn't reset. There is also vertical play, I can push up and down on the hub.
Ben

Phonesrfun

The pulsing ratchet pawl does not seem to be engaging the gear on the dial shaft properly.  Perhaps someone can show you what it looks like and a video of how it should pulse.  Myself, I cannot very well post a video.  

Lastly, you might as well show a photo of the back of the dial so we can see if that has been re-connected properly.  However, the ratchet seems to be the problem from what I can see.

If all else fails there is always Steve Hilsz.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 10, 2013, 08:15:08 PM
The pulsing ratchet pawl does not seem to be engaging the gear on the dial shaft properly.  Perhaps someone can show you what it looks like and a video of how it should pulse.  Myself, I cannot very well post a video. 

Lastly, you might as well show a photo of the back of the dial so we can see if that has been re-connected properly.  However, the ratchet seems to be the problem from what I can see.

If all else faisl, there is Steve Hilsz.

Alright,

I just took it apart to restart might anyone have even a picture on how the pawl shoud be?

WesternElectricBen

Dang it!!! I just got it! Works wonderfuly! Thanks everyone!

baldopeacock

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 09:31:11 PM

Nice.   I'd be afraid to tear a dial down and rebuild.   Way to go...

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: baldopeacock on June 11, 2013, 02:02:33 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 09:31:11 PM

Nice.   I'd be afraid to tear a dial down and rebuild.   Way to go...

Thanks, maybe you could try with a dial from a phone that got parted out?
Ben

HarrySmith

Since Steve does them so cheap & fast I never bothered to spend the time trying ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 11, 2013, 01:23:37 PM
Since Steve does them so cheap & fast I never bothered to spend the time trying ;D

Thats a good point but I like to have the know how. I feel like I did a more complete job though. I do have to agree Steve is a GREAT person.

Ben