News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Idea for this forums site

Started by dc4code, May 25, 2018, 01:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

I feel like it would be a really good idea to add video support like a private youtube on this site where members can upload their videos here and we can watch and comment and like/dislike

I don't know just my opinion tell me what you guys think! :)

(And I can help the webmaster program it if he wants too lol)

TelePlay

Quote from: dc4code on May 25, 2018, 01:09:15 PM
I feel like it would be a really good idea to add video support like a private youtube on this site where members can upload their videos here and we can watch and comment and like/dislike

I don't know just my opinion tell me what you guys think! :)

(And I can help the webmaster program it if he wants too lol)

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

The forum uses SMF software, they write the code. Options allowed within that code are set by the administrator.

To the best of my knowledge, videos can not be attached. Current allowed file types are doc, gif, jpg, jpeg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, tiff and tif.

It is possible to include an external link, within a post, to a YouTube or another video hosted on another site (such external links can go bad over time if the linked URL changes or the video is deleted on the host site). As such, external links to video hosting sites are considered short term posts for immediate viewing by member; there is a good change the video will not be viewable after months or years.

To attach a video for the long term, it can be zipped and the zip folder attached the same as an image is attached (*.zip files are allowed attachments). Yes, the zip file must be downloaded and extracted for a member to view the video and that is more than some members are willing to do.

Most information contained in a video can be posted by use of detailed textual content and attached supporting images.

dc4code

Quote from: TelePlay on May 25, 2018, 01:26:42 PM

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

The forum uses SMF software, they write the code. Options allowed within that code are set by the administrator.

To the best of my knowledge, videos can not be attached. Current allowed file types are doc, gif, jpg, jpeg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, tiff and tif.

It is possible to include an external link, within a post, to a YouTube or another video hosted on another site (such external links can go bad over time if the linked URL changes or the video is deleted on the host site). As such, external links to video hosting sites are considered short term posts for immediate viewing by member; there is a good change the video will not be viewable after months or years.

To attach a video for the long term, it can be zipped and the zip folder attached the same as an image is attached (*.zip files are allowed attachments). Yes, the zip file must be downloaded and extracted for a member to view the video and that is more than some members are willing to do.

Most information contained in a video can be posted by use of detailed textual content and attached supporting images.

Ok, what if we create a youtube channel and  we could call it ClassicRotaryPhones.com or something.

dc4code

I know youtube has this feature where you can set up a channel to allow certain Google accounts to log in to it so we wouldn't have to like all share a password or anything. It's kinda like google drive but youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRpkj7bEaI

dsk

Quote from: dc4code on May 25, 2018, 01:43:16 PM
I know youtube has this feature where you can set up a channel to allow certain Google accounts to log in to it so we wouldn't have to like all share a password or anything. It's kinda like google drive but youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRpkj7bEaI

For me it looks like you need a google account, its not enough to be a member of this forum.
Right?

dsk

dc4code

I don't know it's ok though. I guess we can post YouTube likes of our videos for now :)