News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red Western Electric 500 Soft Plastic--How did I do here?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 24, 2013, 12:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 24, 2013, 10:31:57 PM
I think that when Western Electric transitioned from the open to the solid center dials, they did it immediately, not over time, like they did with Tenite to ABS plastics. I noticed the dial mechanisms were different, and I don't think Western Electric would be producing two different dials and dial mechanisms at he same time.

Well they did produce 7D and 7C at the same time, if I'm not mistaken.

Ben 

poplar1

Even refurbished black 500s with original 7D dials were reissued with clear finger wheels instead of painted metal finger wheels.*

There was also a kit-of-parts that included a plastic finger wheel and higher finger stop so that dials could be updated in the field.

*If anyone has a refurbished 500 with a 7-type dial and newer (solid center)plastic finger wheel, perhaps we can narrow down the dates when this was typically done.

Much later, any 7-type dial was automatically considered unworthy for reissue from the WE shop, perhaps at least partly because there were so many more leased phones being turned in than would be needed for then current lease customers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 24, 2013, 10:35:17 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 24, 2013, 10:31:57 PM
I think that when Western Electric transitioned from the open to the solid center dials, they did it immediately, not over time, like they did with Tenite to ABS plastics. I noticed the dial mechanisms were different, and I don't think Western Electric would be producing two different dials and dial mechanisms at he same time.

Well they did produce 7D and 7C at the same time, if I'm not mistaken.

Ben 

Yes, but 7C and 7D have the same mechanism. 7Ds are always black with painted aluminum finger wheels (as originally issued). 7Cs can be any color--including black--and have clear (Lucite?) finger wheels with open center (as originally issued).

7As were apparently only produced in black.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on October 24, 2013, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on October 24, 2013, 07:47:43 PM
I fully understand but keep in mind, what I bought was a 1962 hard plastic 500 so just changing the finger wheel to what was being used at the time did not reduce the value or originality of the blue phone. Since both the open center AND solid finger wheels were being factory installed in the early 60s, chances of getting either were good. WE did not waste money so they "used up" the now hard to find/get soft center finger wheels.
I don't think the solid-center finger wheels where installed at all on 500-series sets before about 1964, despite making their debut on the Princess in 1959.

I agree. Although the newer finger wheels were "backwards compatible,"--meaning they would fit a 7C-type dial without modification or a 7D dial by adding the "spider" adaptor--this did not mean that older open-center ones were "used up" on new 9C dials for newly manufactured sets.

What was done in the service centers is perhaps a different story. However, I'd guess that it would be far more likely to find a 7D or 7C dial with the newer finger wheel intended for an 8A (Princess) dial or 9-type--rather than an open center finger wheel on a 9C dial or on a Princess. (Don't laugh: the field trial Princess set had a 6-type dial with open finger wheel.)

I once asked a retiree from the WE shop (not Bill)  why we find refurbished 202s with one black rubber cord and one brown textile-covered cord. He said that they just used whatever they had available.  His first job at the Atlanta Distributing House of Western Electric had been to refinish (read: paint black) wood subsets for reissue.

AE40FAN

I have a soft 500 that was refurbed once in 1962.  They replaced the dial mechanism and swapped the open center fingerwheel for a solid center one.   Whole phone is  dated '55 with the exception of the dial mechanism "62".  Thank god they did not swap out the dial plate!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE40FAN on October 25, 2013, 06:19:56 AM
I have a soft 500 that was refurbed once in 1962.  They replaced the dial mechanism and swapped the open center fingerwheel for a solid center one.   Whole phone is  dated '55 with the exception of the dial mechanism "62".  Thank god they did not swap out the dial plate!

Did you re-replace the mechanism for an open center?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE40FAN

WEBellSystemChristian

Just finished this phone last night. I really went at it with the polish, like Dennis does with his phones. The base is dated 1963, with 1965 plastics, a 1964 handset cord, and 1963 internals. I'm guessing that this phone was assembled new in 1965, basing that on the no-refurb-dated base, and the close-together dates (not like a '57 base date, and a '71 plastics date). I decided to keep the old dial card, because it seemed interesting with the old-style two letters, but no full word to compliment it. Anyway, here is the finished product:
Christian Petterson

JorgeAmely

Hats off to you sir. The contrast between the grayed wood and the red plastic is excellent. Congratulations!
Jorge

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks. Normally I take indoor shots, but the sunlight was good enough today, and I thought "What the heck! I'll try a picture outside!" Turned out better than expected.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Looks nice.. I bet it is a 1963 with the original color (have we discussed already if the color matches the code?) and then later the casing was replaced. I say this because I'm about 100% sure they didn't make new 1965 phones with the style fingerwheele you have.

Did you find an old extange card?

Ben  

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

The phone looks very nice.  Nice shine to it.  Great job!

Contempra

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 25, 2013, 09:42:10 AM
Quote from: AE40FAN on October 25, 2013, 06:19:56 AM
I have a soft 500 that was refurbed once in 1962.  They replaced the dial mechanism and swapped the open center fingerwheel for a solid center one.   Whole phone is  dated '55 with the exception of the dial mechanism "62".  Thank god they did not swap out the dial plate!

Did you re-replace the mechanism for an open center?

Just a stupid question from a newbie, what's the difference between an open center and a solid center ?.. thank you in advance

Contempra

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 29, 2013, 07:22:33 PM
Just finished this phone last night. I really went at it with the polish, like Dennis does with his phones. The base is dated 1963, with 1965 plastics, a 1964 handset cord, and 1963 internals. I'm guessing that this phone was assembled in 1965, basing that on the no-refurb-dated base, and the close-together dates (not like a '57 base date, and a '71 plastics date). I decided to keep the old dial card, because it seemed interesting with the old-style two letters, but no full word to compliment it. Anyway, here is the finished product:

One of the most beautiful color for a telephone :)