News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

QuoteEd...if the metal has been drilled, sad to say, it should remain a lamp...good luck....Doug

It shouldn't be difficult to find a replacement transmitter cup (without a hole).  I am in favor of "de-lamping" it.

Larry

Wallphone

ESS, Someone said you had to find a new transmitter cup and you said you need to replace the curved piece. Can you post a pic of where it is really drilled at? I had an AE21 where the hole was drilled in the goose neck that the trans cup attaches too. I inserted a pipe plug in the threaded hole down past the top of the hole and then in about three different applications I filled the rest of the void with JB Weld. Then after some sanding, priming and painting it turn out nice. Welcome to the Forum & Good Luck.
Doug Pav

AE_Collector

I always remind everyone that in most cases when you find a phone converted to a lamp, had it not been converted to a lamp you would not be finding the phone now. It was the conversion to a lamp that kept it from being recycled or otherwise destroyed. It is too bad when it is a very rare phone that is partially destroyed but in the case of an AE 21, they are plentiful and cheap so buy another one that hasn't been converted and then you will have both a phone AND a lamp!

Terry

Doug Rose

Very cool stick, but was it "upgraded" to a lamp to increase its value ;D....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/cdws8e5
Kidphone

wds

Terrible thing to do to a beautiful phone like that.  Maybe the bracket was put on between the cup and the neck so it can be removed.  Then all you would have to do is fill the hole in the cup.
Dave

AE_Collector

The shaft makes it look as though it were one of those pole lamps that some unthinking claude converted into a Phone!

It does appear as though it is a piece inserted that can be removed again.

Terry

m1898

Does this qualify? I also have another that can't be posted here as it was made from an adult toy.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

GG

I know where there's a YouTube video of something that combines both an adult toy and a propeller.  The object in question was used to create a rather enormously funny distraction during a Russian politician's speech, flying around provocatively before one of his security guys swatted it out of the air. 

What I don't get is, why people turn all these objects into _lamps_.  Why not turn them into telephones?  Or propellers?  Why not make an old fire extinguisher work again, it's such a useful thing to have around?   Or make them sprout a forest of Groucho Marx noses & mustaches?   Or is it only because any dumb bunny can wire up a lamp (those who don't succeed might be earning Darwin Awards), so a lot of dumb bunnies do just that to prove the point?  Methinks some of those dumb bunnies would be more productively occupied with adult toys or propellers (but not both). 

m1898

A lot of things out there were designed by some of us "dumb bunnies". There is a company making big money on wagon wheel chandlers, others take old and no longer useful lanterns and make outdoor lights out of them. It's called "Recycling". As far as the propeller  goes, look at it. It was no longer useable, as it had chunks of wood missing. I kept it from becoming firewood. Who knows, maybe someday you will see something similar it the high priced shops, after all, look at the mannequin leg lamps out there, that was the design of a "dumb bunny" at one time.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

MDK

I found a trumpet that was smashed and missing pieces for 3 dollars. If I were to ever want to restore the trumpet, there are no holes drilled or any mods to the trumpet which could prevent that.

My son has stolen it from my music studio for his dorm room.

m1898

MDK, your trumpet looks nice. A little Brasso and it could really shine.

GG

OK, I'll recant slightly and agree that recycling some things into lamps instead of letting them end up in the landfill, is legit.  How to encourage Joe Random out there to check around about his "fresh from the barn" WE desk stand before drilling holes into it, remains to be seen. 

As for electric meters, I want my old analog meter back, since it didn't collect fine-grained details on my power usage that the utility could sell to God-Knows-Who, to figure out e.g. when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, and when I go to the bathroom, and then if the latter is off schedule, push ads for laxatives into my email.

m1898

I definitely agree with you about the analog meters. Some don't realize that when they get the system totally in place they will be able to monitor and control your usage.
I have enclosed a couple of photos some railroad lanterns I have turned back into lanterns. I have a couple I couldn't convert back, so they are still lamps, though better looking than when I got them.

m1898

GG, I also agree with you about converting phones into lamps. If it's an old phone or a useable phone I would get upset too. I also hate to see railroad lantern and any Dietz lantern, you know the old "barn" style lantern, turned into lamps "just because I can". Or those who take old AM radios and convert the cabinets into liqour cabinets. I grew up in an era when recyclers were called "junkmen" and the "good" people looked down on us. I will get off my soap box now.

m1898

I would not have done it myself but.............  I agree with WE_collector. Also, the lampshade is a good match fo it.