News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage ringtone App

Started by Greg G., January 23, 2014, 03:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I just recently found this free app that works well for old-fashioned ringtones for "smart" phones.  After a recent "upgrade" to my phone by Verizon, it somehow did away with my other classic ringtone and defaulted to some ridiculous sounding tune for a "ring" that I couldn't hear.

So I found this app and it works great.  There are several old-fashioned rings as well as some electronic ones, and it's easy to use, just push and hold the ring tone you want and it will bring up the menu to set it as default or something else.  For now I'm trying out the old "party-line" code ring, a short, a long, and a short again.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qiniuwubi.oldphone.ringtone&hl=en
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

No. 14 sounds like a severely distorted GPO 706 ring that you can download (unmolested) from telephonesUK, infact, no. 39 is that very sound file, unmolested of course, they missed out the Trimphone though... ;D

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/sounds.htm

Going through them in that app though, I think I'll just stick to recording my own, much more fun, and more personal and unique cos nobody else will have it, and you can say "that ringtone is from my phone collection"... :D

Though, I will have to find that old 80's Motorola ring tone (no. 15 I think it was), that would be fun to have as a ringtone on a very modern phone... ;D

dsk

Recording your own makes it more personal, and you may make it different from all the others.
I have the most bad ringing ever heard(???), a TA43TP.

dsk

Greg G.

Whatever rotates your dial I always say.  I don't have the time or equipment to be able to record my own.  The ringtone I had prior to this was a hassle to install, this makes it a lot easier.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Thanks!  I recorded my 333 both on the CO line and PBX and use one for regular ringing and the other for voicemail notification.  It will be fun to use some of these for other functions like e-mail, text message etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

I did an oddball sound for my phone for text messages, using two C4A ringers that had different tones to their gongs (I think one of them was a Canadian version), sounded rather creepy when played back so I just called it "The bells"... ;D

Greg G.

Ok, how exactly are you recording these and then installing them as a ringtone?
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on January 24, 2014, 05:29:10 PM
Ok, how exactly are you recording these and then installing them as a ringtone?

Using my mobile's voice recorder and then saving the recorded file in the phones "Notifications" folder, then just going into my ringtone settings and changing the tones to my custom ones... :)

This is for Android though, for other phones like the iphone I don't really know how to change the tones to custom recordings...

dsk

:) Maybe we should expand this thread to make it possible to get some ring tones for each other.
This page, and many others tells how to use Mp3 files as ring tones: http://tinyurl.com/mca4azx

EB 1980 ringing
EB1967 ringing
EE8 ringing
EB 1934 ringing
TA-43/TP ringing

dsk

zaphod01

I use a Sony digital voice recorder. I bought this particular model because it came with software which will convert sound files from one format to another. My current 'alarm clock' ringtone is a metal 302. I used the software to convert the original 395kb .wav file to a 23kb .mp3 file. My cell phone is an old flip phone which I'm loathe to give up. It would not accept the original .wav because it was too big. The software allowed me to both convert and compress the original recording.

I really should get off my butt and record the 534A I have in my kitchen. The bells resonate for 7 full seconds!

I was also able to move a file from a CD, change the format, and edit it down to the first few bars of 'See Emily Play' (Pink Floyd). Most phones will accept a small file.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Greg G.

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 25, 2014, 06:49:49 AM
I use a Sony digital voice recorder. I bought this particular model because it came with software which will convert sound files from one format to another. My current 'alarm clock' ringtone is a metal 302. I used the software to convert the original 395kb .wav file to a 23kb .mp3 file. My cell phone is an old flip phone which I'm loathe to give up. It would not accept the original .wav because it was too big. The software allowed me to both convert and compress the original recording.

I really should get off my butt and record the 534A I have in my kitchen. The bells resonate for 7 full seconds!

I was also able to move a file from a CD, change the format, and edit it down to the first few bars of 'See Emily Play' (Pink Floyd). Most phones will accept a small file.

I take that back, I do have the equipment to do that, a DAK setup that I use to digitize old 78s.  I've just never used it in any other capacity.  I think I just need a microphone to plug into it.  Or - I could also do it TCVBloke's way.  But it's still a matter of finding time, so for now the quick and easy app wins out.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

The way I did it was to get everything set up, then sit my mobile next to the subject to be recorded, then fire up the voice recorder and press record, make noises happen, then stop recording, trim the audio down on the built-in audio trimmer and save the file in the Notifications folder, and then finally set the tones to what notification I want (text messaging, incoming calls, special rings for different people, etc.)... :)

Doesn't need a computer, microphone (my Galaxy S3 has two, so records in Stereo!!) or fiddly cabling, it won't give professional studio-quality recordings, but, playing them back on my laptop, it's pretty close to being real... ;D

All done within about 10 minutes too, so doesn't take much time... :)