News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dean Electric Candlestick

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 18, 2014, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

This Dean stick (ebay link) appeared last week as a $100 BIN, and I couldn't resist it.  Most of my candlesticks are of the very common variety, but this was more unusual.  The phone is in very good condition and appears to be all original, except for the cords.  I gave the nickel a good polishing and also lightly polished the japanned base and hard rubber shaft sleeve  The transmitter appears to be dated "4 14 08", and a hand written date on the bottom looks like it is from 1909.  The phone is remarkably well designed and made.  There are four terminals in the base, two for the receiver and two for the line.  The transmitter connects by contacts in the shaft which touch contacts in the base.  The base contains an inductor coil.  According to the wiring diagram kindly provided to me by a forum member, this phone did not use a condenser in the talk circuit.  The phone actually does work as it is.  The 106 year old transmitter is quite sensitive, but there is alot of noise and static.  I might try connecting a resistor in parallel to try to reduce the noise, but I don't want to risk doing anything which might damage the phone.

Larry

wds

Nice!  I always thought the Deans were the best built candlesticks from that time period.  And probably the best looking. 
Dave

paul-f

It's a beauty!

Nice addition, Larry.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson