News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FABphones' Telephone Workshop Build

Started by FABphones, May 04, 2020, 05:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Converting a 2.5 metre (approx 8ft 2") by 3 metre (approx 9ft 10") room in an outbuilding into a telephone repair workshop during the 2020 lockdown.

As all the DIY stores are closed, and unable to buy any supplies, this room is being fitted out using whatever wood I can find about the place with an ongoing budget of nothing.

I had already managed to salvage three old drawers from a junk shop and an old corner cupboard which I thought might come in useful. A few lengths of Pine had been put aside. Other projects have claimed what little wood we had but I found various odds and ends and pinched a pallet from the hay barn.

More photos will be added as I progress. 🙂

Perfectionists, Plasterers, Wood hobbyists and those with a great selection of lumber to work with look away from this thread now...
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

That's awesome!

Giving purpose to an old building using recycled material to save future of vintage telephones!

Great lock down project.

HarrySmith

Excellent! Always good to see scraps and "junk" being repurposed into something useful. Can't wait to see more as it progresses.

Pallets are very useful, that is what I used to add the shelf to my workbench!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Way to go, take more pictures as you get more progress. I tried to go to the local building store the other day, but they wouldn't let me in, a guy came out and said if you have a list give to me and ill get what you want because you can't go in the building.
I went to the hardware store to get what I wanted.
KEN

RB

LarryInMichigan

FABphones

Thanks for the kind words guys.  :)

———-

Thoroughly swept through, spiders relocated outside to find a new home.
Disinfected the concrete floor.
Wall holes filled. Found an old but still good, and full, tub of white emulsion so was able to give the walls a few coats of paint.
The 'Parquet' cushion floor was formerly in a redecorated room in the house. Destined for the dechetterie, I recycled it here instead.
Have made a start cutting the wood to size.

WOW! what a difference. That looks like it will make a fine Telephone repair shop. Do you have power and a landline out there?

Key2871

Agreed, what a change! Nice work.and the floor looks good too. Good job upcycleing.
KEN

Scott

Your project is coming along well. I am looking forward to seeing photos of the progress.

Scott K.

HarrySmith

Nice! Looks good. Keep going!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Splitting my time between this and several other projects, progress a bit slow as a result.

Stripped back and sanded the Pallet (for conversion to a wall mounted sliding tool holder), made a start on the pedestal for the drawers.

Quote from: Duffy on May 05, 2020, 09:05:30 AM
...Do you have power and a landline out there?

Electricity, but no phone line as yet.

This is a room within a room, we think divided off during WWII for use as a Radio Room when the house was occupied by the SS (Headquarters). It was the only room in that whole building which had electricity (wires run inside metal tubing) and the addition of a window.

Quote from: FABphones on May 10, 2020, 07:21:39 PM
Splitting my time between this and several other projects, progress a bit slow as a result.

Stripped back and sanded the Pallet (for conversion to a wall mounted sliding tool holder), made a start on the pedestal for the drawers.

Electricity, but no phone line as yet.

This is a room within a room, we think divided off during WWII for use as a Radio Room when the house was occupied by the SS (Headquarters). It was the only room in that whole building which had electricity (wires run inside metal tubing) and the addition of a window.

Wow, a phone room with history! Great idea for the pallet. You are really coming along with that room. Can't wait to see the finished room. But as we all know there is no such thing as a finished phone room. We are always adding different pieces and making improvements. :)

FABphones

I have added a few more elements to the build so this is taking a bit longer then expected, but not far off completion now.

Photos:

Cubby holes with trays to top of work surface for all those bits and pieces with nowhere to live.

Sliding shelves almost finished. It was too high so I cut the top four lengths off the pallet as one piece, turned it sideways and made shelves with some offcuts. Nice tall gaps between for aerosols etc.

The work surface is an 'L' shape so I added another pedestal to the right. Shelves. As is a tad deep to reach in towards the back I left the side rear open for additional access.

One more storage unit to build, a bit of wall mounting where necessary, and then on to the wood treatment...
:)

Key2871

Coming along... Nice Job, I like those bins and the bench those are nice.
KEN