News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F2 Brass Plunger Fitting Needed

Started by olderdude60, April 15, 2012, 06:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olderdude60

Hello All - I refinished my F2 - turned out well - I'll post pictures in another thread.  Anyway - I thought I'd done a good job of keeping everything together when I disassembled the F2 - now I cannot locate the small brass bushing that sits with the spring on the cradle pluger.  I'm going to keep an eye out - but what can I use as substitute until then, or purchase a replacement?

Thanks
Jim

Phonesrfun

Sorry to sound dense, Jim, but can you remind me what an F2 is?

-Bill G

olderdude60

Oops - I'm bad - A D1 (f2) is stamped inside of where the cradle sits. 

Jim

Phonesrfun

I was wondering if it wasn't for a D1 you were talking about, but I wanted to make sure.  I know someone who has them.  I just need to remember who...

I referred someone else to him about a year ago.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

I thought an F2 was a 4 wire WE handset, brother of an F1
Kidphone

olderdude60

Hi  Doug - on the mount, where the cradle nests, there's and F stamped on the left of the hole that accepts the brass cradle plunger, and the number 2 on the right side. 

I don't know what that stamping would indicate.

Jim

Doug Rose

Quote from: olderdude60 on April 16, 2012, 05:51:54 PM
Hi  Doug - on the mount, where the cradle nests, there's and F stamped on the left of the hole that accepts the brass cradle plunger, and the number 2 on the right side. 

I don't know what that stamping would indicate.

Jim
Jim...can you post a picture...good luck...Doug
Kidphone

olderdude60

Here it is.....

Phonesrfun

All I can say is that what ever that number is, it is not normally used in descriptive information anywhere I have seen.  Perhaps it is a production mold number or cast number.  The important thing is that it is a D1 base.

Normally, as Doug mentioned, the part known as an F2 is a variation of the F1 handset.  The F2 being one with a 4-wire cord normally used in switchboard applications

See:  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Fhandsets

I still need to remember who has those bushings......

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Jim....I might have one. I'll check when I get home tonight....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

Are we talking about this part? Or is there another that I'm not seeing? On mine, the part in the picture is fiber, not brass. I'm not sure that it makes any difference, though it might make it easier to find or fab one ...

Bill

Doug Rose

Bill ...I thought he was talking about the brass piece that goes between the spring and the top of the plunger....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

OK, I guess that would explain my confusion. I'm looking at a B-1 (that's what's in my photo), not a D-1, and there is no bushing. Looking down into the neck, I see exactly what is in Olderdude's second photo, but what looks like a sleeve in the opening is actually just a milled-in step in the aluminum casting. The fiber shoulder washer in my photo just presses into the top of this opening.

Again referring to my photo, the smooth brass section above the top of the spring is absolutely not removable. It is milled as part of the brass shaft that goes down through the center of the spring, and the whole thing looks like it was pressed into the black aluminum cross-piece (plunger?)

I don't recall that there were any other parts, but I haven't tried to re-assemble it yet. Hope I'm not missing anything!

Bill

olderdude60

HOLD THE PHONE - THIS JUST IN........the missing item has been located - see I thought I'd put it somewhere safe....... ;D inside the mount opening for the cradle! - DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Turned the mount upside down, and out it fell!

:-[

Thanks all!
Jim

Doug Rose

Kidphone