News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Dial Repair - Cleaning

Started by Dennis Markham, May 13, 2009, 09:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Forum member Jorge Amely has provided this document.  It is a scan of an original 1979 GTE Practices Shop Procedure for A.E. Dials.

One section that Jorge pointed out deals with the extra pulse that some A.E. dials produce.  Section 2.06.  Such dials were used on long party lines used to identify the user.

Also here is a Picasa Web Google album showing the work Jorge did on a dial from one of his A.E. 80's.

http://tinyurl.com/lftbh6c

The pdf was created by Kellogg Mike Neale, scanned by Paul Wills

http://www.telephonearchive.com/kelloggtelephone/index.html

bnaOldPhones

Jorge's photo album, which is now located on Google at Automatic Electric Dial Overhaul, is just tremendously helpful.

I bought this AE dial on Ebay, from someone who apparently sells enough phone stuff that they have a business card. :-)  The dial was advertised as being fully restored and ready to go.  When I got it, I noticed that it had a lot of nylon parts in it, but it was very noisy -- clicked like crazy on windup.  That didn't make sense -- plastic parts should be on a dial from the 1950's, like a type 51, which should be very quiet.

Thank's to Jorge's slideshow, I was able to determine that the pawl quieter was installed upside down.  I was able to remove the spring, flip the pawl quieter to its correct position, and reinstall the spring ... and now the dial purrs like a (very quiet) kitten.  Awesome!  Thank you, Jorge. :-)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 13, 2009, 09:10:03 PM
One section that Jorge pointed out deals with the extra pulse that some A.E. dials produce.  Section 2.06.  Such dials were used on long party lines used to identify the user.

There are two issues here, all AE dials derived from the Type 24 can produce one extra pulse. The extra pulse is disabled on PSTN dials to create the required interdigit delay. The extra pulse is used on many control dials where the finger plate may have 11 holes rather than the normal 10.

SATT dials can generate additional pulses to identify the calling party for billing/automatic ticketing. Each party on (any) party line has a different code and the code type differs between SATT A and SATT B. There may be multiple additional pulses and they are generated between the line and ground.

Section 2.06 refers to SATT dials.

Jack

unbeldi

The party id pulses of SATT dials are not loop-disconnect pulses like standard dial pulses.  They are 'pulses' generated between one line side and ground.    It is misleading to group them as "extra pulses".

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on April 02, 2017, 08:50:11 AM
The party id pulses of SATT dials are not loop-disconnect pulses like standard dial pulses.  They are 'pulses' generated between one line side and ground.    It is misleading to group them as "extra pulses".

That's why I commented.

Jack

AE_Collector

Yes Dennis' wording on the original post in 2009 was a bit fuzzy. Everyone agrees, two concepts being merged into one. As always, George's OOPS Jorge's  excellent info solved bnaOldPhones dial problems.

Terry

TelePlay

nolan613

Thank you for the excellent visual step by step process. I'm sure it will save me many hours of starring at a wayward component and wondering where it goes and why I didn't do a better job of notation during disassembly.
Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

AE_Collector

JorgeAmely

I am glad that the information is still useful to you.
Jorge

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 02, 2017, 10:21:02 PM
I am glad that the information is still useful to you.
It is still very useful and very relevant.

And your AE 80 collection is awesome, BTW:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2314.msg31717#msg31717
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

JorgeAmely

Time flies when you are having fun. I can't believe that picture was taken 7 years ago.

I altered the order recently to move the most color sensitive models to the bottom shelves so sun light will not fade them.
Jorge

AE_Collector

The gray spray paint on that dawn gray 80 shouldn't be a problem Jorge!  ;)

Terry

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 03, 2017, 02:00:16 PM
I altered the order recently to move the most color sensitive models to the bottom shelves so sun light will not fade them.
It doesn't take much, I found out; mostly just time.  The following picture is of our Gardenia White Type 90 we had in our kitchen since my parents and I moved to our house (which I now own) in Oakfield, Wisconsin in 1968.  The stark white case, handset and dial bezel which are on the phone are very recent NOS replacements.  The faded is the original plastic.  You can even see the areas where the handset hung on the cradle, and a small area where Mom stuck a Rotex label with the local fire department number over the AECO diamond.  The weird thing is, this phone hung right next to, instead of across from, the only window in the kitchen, so it never received direct sunlight from anywhere in the house.  What it probably did get a healthy dose of was airborne food particles from the GE range on the other side of the kitchen, plus the fact we had (and still have) a 4-tube fluorescent light in the drop ceiling above.  I don't know if those things put out any UV light, but it's the only other thing I can think of.  None of us ever smoked, so it wasn't that, either.  This thing was so badly faded that when I dug it out of storage a couple months ago, I wasn't even sure it was a white phone despite my memory, until I found the color codes here online and matched them to the code on the back.  Even the inside is discolored to a light ivory tone.

You can see where I started to wet-sand the dial bezel, which I gave up doing when I noticed I was having to go pretty deep to remove the discoloration, and all I seemed to be doing was distorting the numbers.  Evidently one needs a very steady hand to do it successfully.  I was glad to find NOS parts from an eBay seller in Saukville, Wisconsin.  "Compubit" on the forums here suggested using 40 peroxide cream from a beauty salon supply store to whiten the original plastic, which I will try on the old parts once the long summer sunshine comes back to Wisconsin.  I am putting the phone back into service, and I'd rather use the original parts rather than subject the NOS parts to the elements just so they can fade out like the originals did.

The rest of my collection (to which I'll be adding more photos as it grows) is here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17876.0

Back to the topic:  Your pictures came in very handy when I needed to put spring tension back in a Type 51A dial which somehow came unwound when I took the finger stop out to polish it.
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

JorgeAmely

Some years ago I bought an eBay white AE80 for 99 cents. I was sort of disappointed because it was painted, but luckily, they did not used Polane or some other, tough-as-nails finish. The paint came off with Easy-Off, which was a blessing in disguise because it protected the ABS body from sun fading.

Here it is if you want to take a look at it:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNwsRQ1LhI_9k83nKEOsN6n7jeHj8vJLSMfadgf

Jorge