News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for copy of: Western Electric ‘Telegraph Edition’ catalogue 1908??

Started by NTC/GPO, June 02, 2017, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NTC/GPO

Hello All

Firstly, apologies for this being a telegraph inquiry.

I'm trying to locate the specific 'Telegraph' section of the (Western Electric Company, 1908, Telegraph Edition, Catalogue of Telephonic Apparatus and Supplies) catalogue.

I have an old telegraph relay which is a manufactured variant of the one made by Western Electric, which I'm trying to date and am wondering if it may be listed in this version of the Western Electric catalogue as it specifically states that it is a 'telegraph Edition' and it's a catalogue of the right year.

If anyone may happen to have a scanned/PDF copy of the 'telegraph' section of this catalogue, I would be most grateful to see a copy.

Thanks in advance.
Great Forum, by the way!

unbeldi

The manner by which I have always interpreted the designation "Telegraph Edition" is not by the catalog containing a special section for telegraph equipment, but by it containing the short-codes used to efficiently transmit equipment orders by telegraph by using using the codes, rather than full descriptions and type numbers.

However, the catalog does contain a section for telegraph keys, etc. (attached)

By comparison, this section is indeed added from similar catalogs of the same or preceding year, so perhaps my interpretation was indeed wrong.

TelePlay

Can you post pictures of your device. There are a lot of members who would be interested in seeing what you have.

Thanks.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

NTC/GPO

Quote from: TelePlay on June 02, 2017, 01:38:39 PM
Can you post pictures of your device. There are a lot of members who would be interested in seeing what you have.

Thanks.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

unbeldi, your PDF is perfect! I found exactly what I was looking for (Relay No 1-MA). Thank you so much.

TelePlay, please find attached image of my ATM version of the WE 1-MA. I've not been able to find any ATM catalogues of the time as most are telephone related. ATM was formed in 1911 to make the Strowger system under licence from the Automatic Electric Company of Chicago, here in the UK.

Based on this the WE 1-MA design was obviously being licensed to manufacture by other companies for quite a number of years.

The ATM relay I have is in stunning condition and looks as if it has just been purchased off the self yesterday. Must have been very well stored away for years. Thought it may have been refinished, but luckily its all original!

Thanks again.

Jack Ryan

Unusual that ATM would be manufacturing WE equipment after 1913 (when their factory started to come on line) when BWE had been manufacturing there since about 1908.

Prior to 1908, BWE was selling stuff from BTMC and US WE.

Welcome to the forum.

By the way, that complete catalogue is on line - Google books I think.

Jack

NTC/GPO

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 02, 2017, 09:35:42 PM
Unusual that ATM would be manufacturing WE equipment after 1913 (when their factory started to come on line) when BWE had been manufacturing there since about 1908.

Prior to 1908, BWE was selling stuff from BTMC and US WE.

Welcome to the forum.

By the way, that complete catalogue is on line - Google books I think.

Jack

Hi Jack

Many thanks for the complete catalogue.

Yes, I agree, the ATM version of the WE unit is a bit odd and one I have never seen before getting this one. I didn't even think ATM was making telegraph items as I've never seen anything with ATM on it until this one - thought ATM was just involved with telephone related items - exchanges, phone units, etc.

I guess like all companies this size, in the day they could be very diversified and make almost anything they chose to that would make them money,