News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western electric 202

Started by Telephone_Singer22, November 06, 2014, 04:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephone_Singer22

I bought a western electric 202 on eBay for 65.00 and it just arrived today I hooked it up to the wall (no subset) it works it gets dial tone but the dial is too fast so I checked the dial for the governer spring but could not find it. It is a 6E dial

Kenton K

I would recommend getting or making a subset(very easy) to protect from damaging the phone and your ear. And about the dial, how do you know it is too fast? It does not have to be a perfect 10pps to work with most phone lines.

Kk

Telephone_Singer22

By fast I was meaning to say it zipps back to the starting position so much I have to slow it down myself for it to dial out and I have made a subset using the 425 and I have been able to connect the phone to it

unbeldi

Hmm, the 6E is a switchboard dial, but should be pulsing at 10 pps.
Perhaps it has been modified to pulse at 18 to 20?
Or is it a 6F and you misread the designation?
The 6F runs at 20.

Both the 6E and the 6F need to be wired slight differently than a 6A or 6D.  They don't have the BR terminal, therefore terminal B and R need to be jumpered.  There are some other changes, I have to look them up.

tallguy58

Show us some pics.  Sounds interesting
Cheers........Bill

Phonesrfun

Sounds like the seller or someone before him or her just slapped any old dial onto the phone body.  You wouldn't normally see a switchboard dial on a D mount.
-Bill G

unbeldi

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 06, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Sounds like the seller or someone before him or her just slapped any old dial onto the phone body.  You wouldn't normally see a switchboard dial on a D mount.
yup.  Let alone a #6 switch board dial.

Telephone_Singer22

Well after some extended research and many google images I have found out the govener spring is actually missing. Is it possible to put one back in or should I just buy another dial

Kenton K

If the governor spring is missing, then the dial would go extremely slowly, if at all. Could you post a picture?

KK