News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Hi Larry, I don't even know what a 302 is!!
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

A few pics of nic nacs. Probably not of any value but cool nonetheless. 
~Maureen

AE_Collector

Does anyone have any idea what the Buttons Maureen posted just above refer to?

"8-7-83
5-8-68
Lest We Forget"

and

IBEW "Dump the Lump"

Labor Negotiations Issues presumably?

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 09:30:30 PM
Does anyone have any idea what the Buttons Maureen posted just above refer to?

"8-7-83
5-8-68
Lest We Forget"

and

IBEW "Dump the Lump"

Labor Negotiations Issues presumably?

Terry
I am pretty sure it was strike dates. Maybe Lump was a union boss? Not sure
Maureen

AE_Collector

Or the Company Boss! Or maybe an Arbitrator who's opinion wasn't appreciated.

Been there (labor disputes) done that, several times in my career.

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 10:26:43 PM
Or the Company Boss! Or maybe an Arbitrator who's opinion wasn't appreciated.

Been there (labor disputes) done that, several times in my career.

Terry

I think it had something to do with Lump sum payment!!!

baldopeacock

Maureen,

Just from what I've seen in pictures here, I think you might be surprised, maybe amazed, at the interest you'll see in items that may not look like much from where you sit right now.

For example, I saw gray cords from very early color 500 sets in one photo.   I have a very nice 1955 yellow 500 that's all original except that someone "improved" it by discarding the original line cord.   They replaced it with a cheap modern modular cord, but did manage to save the dated crimped-on retainer from the original, and mash it onto the silver satin cord.   Consolation prize, I guess.

I've been watching for a correct line cord and never see them come up.   Lots of things in this collection are going to have the same appeal to people looking for that one missing part.   I'd be thrilled to see a correct cord for my otherwise 100% original '55.

Whatever original early phone parts you've got may well be someone's Holy Grail.

JorgeAmely

Maureen:

I think you should spend some time cataloging everything so you can have an idea of what you have first.

My 2 cents.
Jorge

MagicMo

Stuff ???

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on November 20, 2012, 12:15:51 AM
Stuff ???

Glass telephone insulators are a collecting niche by themselves: http://www.insulators.info/

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

With regard to "the children's future" thing, assuming they're young still, maybe it would be a good idea to use the money from the sale of these collectable items and place it into a savings account or trust fund, so they have some money, courtesy of their grandfather, to give them a good start to their lives when they leave the nest, a family legacy if you will... :)

Not many people have such an opportunity with such a great find, and a lot that do tend to not think of it as being worth anything and dump the lot, only to kick themselves later when they find out they lost a lot of money as they had something of high value in what would appear to them to be a pile of junk...  :-\

baldopeacock

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 20, 2012, 02:19:37 AM
With regard to "the children's future" thing, assuming they're young still, maybe it would be a good idea to use the money from the sale of these collectable items and place it into a savings account or trust fund, so they have some money, courtesy of their grandfather, to give them a good start to their lives when they leave the nest, a family legacy if you will... :)

Nice idea.   Speaking as a grandpa, I'm sure that Maureen's dad would be proud.

AE40FAN

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE40FAN on November 20, 2012, 07:37:06 PM
How much for the orange phone? ;D

The Oronge 500 desk phone in Reply #1 PAGE 1? WECo never offered bright oronge, right? It must be relatively old as it has an oronge spade line cord rather than Modular cord? What year was oronge first offered?

Terry

LarryInMichigan

My guess is that the orange 500 is an ITT.  The number card, from what I can see in the small picture, does not look like a Bell System card, and the area code does not appear to be 312, which was the code for the entire Chicago area back when that phone was in use.  I don't think that WE made orange phones during the years (1970s) that orange was in vogue.

As for a value, I would guess in the $30-$40 range, but I don't really follow orange phones.

Larry