News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Line Protectors

Started by Babybearjs, July 23, 2014, 03:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I was browsing through Ebay the other day and found someone selling the old line protectors used on homes. I think the model number was 123 and 123-2 (2 line) and got to thinking what ever happened to these, why aren't they used anymore... the new line protectors aren't anything like these and I don't even know IF they protect... last night, we had a electrical storm and that got me wondering about lightning protection. My sister used to work for mountain bell, back in the day and with all the new technology, you'd think the line protectors would still be used all the time... after all, if lightning strikes, the fuse is suppose to blow.... but now..... what does protect the phone line now???
John

New England Tel.

The modern network interfaces at your home include gas tube surge protection. If a large current surge comes down the line, it will be diverted to ground rather than through your phones. Also, as I understand it, there are still fuses where the line drops are attached up on the poles. These will blow if a lightning strike on the lines causes a surge at your drop.

-Bob Archambault

Babybearjs

so, the phone companies have moved these protectors to other areas of the line? such as a cross-connect box?? it makes sense... having all the fuses in one place, instead of out in the field...
John

Weco355aman

The Only place that their is cable protection is at the Central office or Remote Equipment and
the Network interface (house). All protectors made in the late 90's were gas. Gas responds faster to fault (high voltage) than the carbon type. Gas is also a higher useable voltage. Remember T1 and HDSL lines have up to + or _ 130 vdc
or both depending on the circuit.
Phil

New England Tel.

Quote from: Weco355aman on July 23, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
The Only place that their is cable protection is at the Central office or Remote Equipment and
the Network interface (house).

With all due respect, Phil - not according to the Verizon tech that I spoke to. A couple of years ago, my buddy lost dial tone. I went down and checked it out for him and determined that the problem was in Verizon's lines. After the problem was repaired, I asked the tech what the problem was and he said that he replaced the fuses up on the pole. I don't see where he would have any reason to lie to me.

Of course, perhaps different locales or phone companies may be doing things differently! I don't know.

-Bob Archambault

Russ Kirk

Quote from: New England Tel. on July 24, 2014, 07:39:43 AM

With all due respect, Phil - not according to the Verizon tech that I spoke to. A couple of years ago, my buddy lost dial tone. I went down and checked it out for him and determined that the problem was in Verizon's lines. After the problem was repaired, I asked the tech what the problem was and he said that he replaced the fuses up on the pole. I don't see where he would have any reason to lie to me.

Of course, perhaps different locales or phone companies may be doing things differently! I don't know.

E so
I agree with Phil. The two locations for protection are at the house and the CO.   There is basically one exception, if the line to the house is feed by electronic equipment such as pair gain equipment. There may be some protection at this electronic equipment is never just up the pole! Usually in a street level box or in an underground environmental vault, UEV. I was an OSP tech for many years and have found some techs to be lazy with their explanations to customers. I think this is the case with the Verizon tech.  There are never any fuses up a pole.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

poplar1

I heard about a tech that told the customer he had to go back to his van to get a can of dial tone.

Another, who didn't want to fish walls, would use his buzzer (tone generator) to "locate" the best place to install a wall phone. When he found the "best" place--usually on an outside wall--he would make the buzzer sound and tell the customer that the phone needed to be installed there.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

New England Tel.

Quote from: Russ Kirk on July 24, 2014, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: New England Tel. on July 24, 2014, 07:39:43 AM

E so
I agree with Phil. The two locations for protection are at the house and the CO.   There is basically one exception, if the line to the house is feed by electronic equipment such as pair gain equipment. There may be some protection at this electronic equipment is never just up the pole! Usually in a street level box or in an underground environmental vault, UEV. I was an OSP tech for many years and have found some techs to be lazy with their explanations to customers. I think this is the case with the Verizon tech.  There are never any fuses up a pole.

Well - I've never been up a pole in my life, so what do I know. I was just going by what the "professional" told me.

Quote from: poplar1 on July 24, 2014, 11:23:59 AM
I heard about a tech that told the customer he had to go back to his van to get a can of dial tone.

Another, who didn't want to fish walls, would use his buzzer (tone generator) to "locate" the best place to install a wall phone. When he found the "best" place--usually on an outside wall--he would make the buzzer sound and tell the customer that the phone needed to be installed there.

I gotcha. I won't make the mistake of chiming in again on these types of questions. I'll leave it to you experienced pros.

Oh, and BTW - you'll notice that I did preface my comments on the fuses with "Also, I understand that...", this indicates that I wasn't 100% sure!

-Bob Archambault

Babybearjs

Interesting chat.... so they replaced carbon with gas and made them hidden so you don't know they are there.... well that explains why I don't see them anymore.... technology.... UHG!
John

poplar1

Bob, I certainly didn't intend to discourage your comments on this subject or any other. I was merely poking fun at the Bell techs.

It's personal with me because of my last job (22 years) as a telecommunications tech for the state of GA. My usual job was repairing state phones, wiring and key systems or referring outside plant troubles to Bell. Even though I would always isolate a line trouble to Bell's side of the demarc before reporting it, a lot of their techs would not fix their problem; instead they would say "problem in the customer's equipment" or "no trouble found." With either of these disposition codes,  we got billed for their incompetence or refusal to do their job. So it's not anything personal, Bob, just making fun of the "phone man."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

New England Tel.

Quote from: poplar1 on July 24, 2014, 02:50:36 PM
Bob, I certainly didn't intend to discourage your comments on this subject or any other. I was merely poking fun at the Bell techs.

It's personal with me because of my last job (22 years) as a telecommunications tech for the state of GA. My usual job was repairing state phones, wiring and key systems or referring outside plant troubles to Bell. Even though I would always isolate a line trouble to Bell's side of the demarc before reporting it, a lot of their techs would not fix their problem; instead they would say "problem in the customer's equipment" or "no trouble found." With either of these disposition codes,  we got billed for their incompetence or refusal to do their job. So it's not anything personal, Bob, just making fun of the "phone man."

I humbly apologize. I took what you said in a completely different way. Now that you've clarified it, I see where you were coming from. Thanks for replying in a calm, and courteous manner, which I, obviously, did not do! Please attribute my rudeness to my simply having a bad day!

Again, I'm sorry.

And to the others on this topic who corrected me, thank you! I thought I was posting correct information regarding the "fuses". I thought I could trust the information from Verizon repairmen. From now on, I'll stick to what I know - from the network interface, in!

-Bob Archambault

tipnring

I work for the phone company here and we have "protectors'" at the central office on each cable pair and at the customers demarc location. The new style are gas tubes but there are still lots of old carbon protectors out there at the customers house. You can see the pitting on old carbons from electrical hits. And  no  there are no fuses in aerial cans or boxes. Not in Alberta anyways. Hope that helps you out. As for the can of dial tone , I store it right next to my aerial wire stretcher tool.

tipnring

dsk

;) The nice about standards are:
Among standards its always one who fits, so you may do as you want ;D

Is obviously variations.  In Norway we have no demark point, The first jack acts as the point of where it is yours, or the telcos ...
Usually we do not have any protection at all, (Except for in the exchange building) but in some areas they use blocks as pictured where it is suitable,

dsk