News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 WE Black 500 C/D - $10 + shipping

Started by KeithB, October 01, 2010, 08:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

A few days ago while discussing the relative value of WE 500 desk sets, <I posted pictures> of this 1950s 500 desk set I purchased from eBay for only $10 and shipping.  It arrived tonight, and it's 100% original ;D from November/December 1956.  The worst problems with this phone are a small nick/tear in the handset cord near the transmitter, a spade lug missing from the green wire of the mounting cord, and an obviously well-used Bakelite G1 handset.  

Next week I'll be sending this one to Dennis Markham for his world-famous :o showroom treatment.

KeithB

More pictures of the components...

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

That's pretty sweet. The $8 one I got was all 8-56 except for the cords and handset, which were replaced in '63. She just came in today. She needs her own thread.

finlover

What a sweet deal!  Once Dennis has worked his magic it will be a STUNNER!!

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

KeithB

KeithB

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 02, 2010, 12:18:01 AMThat's pretty sweet. The $8 one I got was all 8-56 except for the cords and handset, which were replaced in '63. She just came in today. She needs her own thread.
I didn't check the dates on the cords, but judging from the rest of this set, I'd wager they're 11/56 or 12/56.

mr_a500

Nice deal. How much was shipping? Every phone I get costs me over $30 shipping - which means even if I found one free, it would cost more than your phone.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: finlover on October 02, 2010, 02:29:12 AM
What a sweet deal!  Once Dennis has worked his magic it will be a STUNNER!!

No pressure!  Thanks for the confidence.

AE_Collector

Quote from: mr_a500 on October 02, 2010, 06:43:48 AM
Nice deal. How much was shipping? Every phone I get costs me over $30 shipping - which means even if I found one free, it would cost more than your phone.

Yeah, when it comes to buying phones from the USA, it sucks being in Canada!

Shipping costs anywhere from a few dollars more to even $100 more! Sometimes free shipping is quoted within the USA but sellers revert to full price PLUS when shipping out of the USA. There are also those who refuse to sell to anyone outside of the sellers country. I can never figure out why anyone would want to limit the bids by doing that. Two bidders rather than only one can make a BIG difference to the final selling price!

Then there is the exchange rate. Currently it is almost par ($1 CDN buys .98 US$) but just a few years ago it cost us $1.60 CDN to buy $1 US and of course that exchange rate applies to the extra shipping costs as well.

I'm in Vancouver mr_a500 but have solved the shipping problem by having a PO Box 30 miles away in WA State.

Terry

mr_a500

Quote from: ae_collector on October 02, 2010, 12:57:19 PM
Quote from: mr_a500 on October 02, 2010, 06:43:48 AM

Yeah, when it comes to buying phones from the USA, it sucks being in Canada!

Shipping costs anywhere from a few dollars more to even $100 more! Sometimes free shipping is quoted within the USA but sellers revert to full price PLUS when shipping out of the USA. There are also those who refuse to sell to anyone outside of the sellers country. I can never figure out why anyone would want to limit the bids by doing that. Two bidders rather than only one can make a BIG difference to the final selling price!

Then there is the exchange rate. Currently it is almost par ($1 CDN buys .98 US$) but just a few years ago it cost us $1.60 CDN to buy $1 US and of course that exchange rate applies to the extra shipping costs as well.

I'm in Vancouver mr_a500 but have solved the shipping problem by having a PO Box 30 miles away in WA State.

Terry

Crossing the border in Ontario where I am involves 3-hour waits in traffic jams both ways (it was so much quicker when I lived in BC). I think I'd rather pay the extra $20 for shipping and avoid the headache. (and potential strip-searches)

Another thing for Canadians to worry about: any auction that insists on UPS shipping, I avoid like the plague. There's no way - after exchange, customs and high shipping fees - that I'm going to pay a rip-off BS "brokerage fee"! ($50-$100!)

KeithB

FYI, shipping was $13.54 for US Postal Service Priority mail, from Massachusetts to North Carolina.