"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this part called? -> AE40 Lift

Started by EdTel, November 15, 2015, 11:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: EdTel on November 16, 2015, 09:44:09 PM
The buttons on my phone that has the handle are not chromed, but the ones on the phone without the handle do have chrome.  Having said that though, I could not say whether the unchromed ones are original or not, but they are functional.
Well, as was remarked in this topic, many combinations of black and chrome parts have been observed, and appear all valid configurations. Perhaps some configuration were factory standard, and others field modifications by refurbishment or repair.

Amazing how much I have learned in one simple post.  I think I'm going to like this forum  :D
The fun is that not only the newcomers learn something from the postings and the ensuing discussions, but usually everyone.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 07:45:06 PM
Hmm, interesting.   Is it easy to remove the metal saddles? It never occurred to me to try that until now.

I haven't attempted to remove them but I imagine the four screws that hold the hook switch in screw into the blocks on top. They have to come off for the fixed Lift Handle to be mounted.

[I took a phone call before posting and then forgot about it]

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 08:15:37 PM
I was going to ask you about those areas, because they don't look like ordinary wear.

On chrome blocks there is a mark there as well. I'm not sure if it was caused by the handset or is a coating to prevent the handset from marking the chrome.

It would not surprise me if the black example was finished so to prevent the handset from removing the paint.

Jack

unbeldi

This auction of a quite nice AE 40, which I think was made in the period WW-II to 1952, shows no lift feature, nor the holes for the handle. It also doesn't have the metal bands on the handset. It does show a number card that is on top of a anoter AE card of the large area kind, which was printed starting in ca. 1955, so the phone was probably refurbished after that time. Perhaps metal rings were removed in refurbishing because new ones were no longer made?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on November 20, 2015, 02:45:51 PM
It also doesn't have the metal bands on the handset.

I believe it does have metal bands but the bands are not grooved. I have seen un-grooved bands before but never no bands.

Certainly no holes in the cradle blocks though.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 20, 2015, 05:34:25 PM

I believe it does have metal bands but the bands are not grooved. I have seen un-grooved bands before but never no bands.

Jack

They made bakelite bands, like in the auction Unbeldi posted, but they are more like spacers than metal bands.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 20, 2015, 06:40:52 PM

Jack

They made bakelite bands, like in the auction Unbeldi posted, but they are more like spacers than metal bands.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise there were Bakelite bands. So, there are always bands but some of them are plastic rather than metal. I assume the un-grooved bands are plastic.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 20, 2015, 07:04:03 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 20, 2015, 06:40:52 PM

Jack

Thanks for that. I didn't realise there were Bakelite bands. So, there are always bands but some of them are plastic rather than metal. I assume the un-grooved bands are plastic.

Jack

Correct. In my opinion, the Bakelite bands look better than the metal ones on a black phone. The handsets on AE34s (type 34?) didn't use Bakelite bands, but the type 41 (on AE40s) did AFAIK.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Like this?

Jack Ryan

I'm not right at all. I found a handset with "plastic bands" and the bands appear to be part of the molding. They are made to look like bands without actually being bands (rather like many in the music industry today).

Sorry about confusing the issue.

Jack

unbeldi

Or what about this one that Celnout (Cliff) has for sale:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/301776486429

unbeldi

Ok, so I have pulled out my AE 40s and the No.41 handsets to look again.

It's clear to me now that starting probably sometime in the 1950s, AE seems to have used new handset caps that could not accommodate any rings.  Instead the area where the rings were is molded in such a way that just a very slight ridge exists of the width of the old rings.  This shows up in pictures as those lines around the caps.  I think this is also what Jack was referring to.

Therefore it makes sense that rings are not displayed in the parts catalogs of the 50s.
Or where the chrome versions still an option in the 50s?

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 01:21:00 PM
Here are two of the lift features of the AE 40. The set was manufactured between 1955 and 1958, by my 'guess'.

Shown are the molded grip features in the sides of the cradle posts, as well as the holes in the metal saddles on each cradle recess, I suppose they could be called a fulcrum.

I also looked at the set again, that has the grip hole in the apparently wrong position.  Well, it turns out that only one side of the cradle has the hole.  The others side is without it.  So, this means the set was refurbished and received a new set of saddles, or at least one replacement, but of the wrong kind and mounted on the wrong side.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on November 24, 2015, 09:42:48 PM
Ok, so I have pulled out my AE 40s and the No.41 handsets to look again.

It's clear to me now that starting probably sometime in the 1950s, AE seems to have used new handset caps that could not accommodate any rings.  Instead the area where the rings were is molded in such a way that just a very slight ridge exists of the width of the old rings.  This shows up in pictures as those lines around the caps.  I think this is also what Jack was referring to.

Therefore it makes sense that rings are not displayed in the parts catalogs of the 50s.
Or where the chrome versions still an option in the 50s?

You must have missed my post. I looked at one of the offending handsets and reported that the "ring" was a molded part of the cap.

This change appears to have happened around 1950 but the ringed version continued for the coloured Monophone. In 1951, both forms existed.

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on November 24, 2015, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 01:21:00 PM
Here are two of the lift features of the AE 40. The set was manufactured between 1955 and 1958, by my 'guess'.

Shown are the molded grip features in the sides of the cradle posts, as well as the holes in the metal saddles on each cradle recess, I suppose they could be called a fulcrum.

I also looked at the set again, that has the grip hole in the apparently wrong position.  Well, it turns out that only one side of the cradle has the hole.  The others side is without it.  So, this means the set was refurbished and received a new set of saddles, or at least one replacement, but of the wrong kind and mounted on the wrong side.

I haven't looked closely but I assumed that the blocks would simply swap sides to move the hole to the rear.

Jack