News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a soft yellow 500!

Started by Dan, May 27, 2010, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

If the phone is HW you can attach a mod block to the end and have 2 line cords. 1 normal and 1 reversed. Just swap cords as needed. 

Typically polarity is only an issue on older TT phones. and many of those got fixed with a bridge rectifier added into the circuit. I think Richard Rose sells some aftermarket  bridge rectifiers.

My preferred method is to have all lines home run and wired correctlly. If polaraity is an issuse then add a reversing switch.

If you sell (or give away)  polarity sensitive phones I would add a bridge rectifier.
JMO,
Jim

BTW I used to offer $1.00 for non dialling TT phones. I think all of the ones I picked up worked fine when the polarity was correct. Non ringing ones were also worth $1.00. These were always a disconnected or missing ringer.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dan on June 05, 2010, 12:10:08 AM
... and it works!It flickers BRIGHTLY  and  rings, a little weakly. I have a lot of phones on my line, so I figure the tube and the ringer use a lot of "juice".

It's funny you recognized a "reverse polarity" issue in my house because I had to switch an early touchtone green and red  because when you hit the touchtone pad, it wouldn't make a sound, but if you switched the green and red, it worked.

I wish to thank you my friend! :D ;) ;D :)

Dan:

I am glad your yellow phone works fine now. Another soap opera that comes to a nice conclusion.
You already offered me free dental advice for a lifetime and a free teeth cleaning next time I am in Cincinnati. I don't have plans to visit your neighborhood in the near future, but I have this tooth that has been bugging me lately. I took a picture (which I have posted below) and was wondering if you could advice me what to do with it.

Jorge

Dan

Great tooth picture! That little bugger couldn't scrub off his decay, could he.

I can't scrub off this "phone disease" either. Still got a few of the original coloured  500's to acquire.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

What other colors do you need?

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Were you able to get a strong ring ? If not try the ringer tension spring.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 05, 2010, 01:03:01 AM
Dan:

What other colors do you need?

Of the fifteen originals 500's, I still need the harder ones--Oxford grey (I have a two-tone), medit. blue, and mahagony brown. I am trading jester my  554 rose beige for a 500 rose beige  later this summer.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 05, 2010, 01:31:17 AM
Dan;
Were you able to get a strong ring ? If not try the ringer tension spring.
D/P
The spring is in the best position, thanks.
I am going to change out the house phones (I do this about every three months  or so) and will replace a few 500 with princesses to lower the total current draw). Hopefully then I will see a stronger ring. I will probably use this at work and bring home the candlestick that Bill helped me with last year.

Dan

Dan/Panther, here's the wiring for me . It works. The red and yellow are combined on the jack because I have reverse polarity. Put the green with the yellow to make it work in "correct" fashion.

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Is it necessary to use the yellow line wire ?
Also have you checked the incoming line to insure the wires are hooked red to red etc. Maybe someone changed them at some point in time.

D/P

AE_Collector

The reason to combin green & yellow under the same screw at the jack is because normally the green, red & yellow set cord leads go to three different screw terminals inside the phone. The ringer cct inside the phone would be from either the red OR the green lead through the capacitor to the terminal that the yellow set cord lead is on. I don't know WECo set wiring enough to be ny more specific than that.

Terry

Dan/Panther

Terry;
All of my yellow and black wires are not used on any of my lines. Just the Red and green. So far WE, AE, and others all work.

Dan;
Something doesn't look right with the wiring at "G". Also if you correct the polarity problem, will you have to move the Yellow wire from the tube also. What is the white wire going to L2 ?
D/P

Dan/Panther

Dan;
On your line wire, are the round beige wire and the flat gray wire the same just spliced ?
D/P

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 05, 2010, 08:57:47 PM
Terry;
All of my yellow and black wires are not used on any of my lines. Just the Red and green. So far WE, AE, and others all work.
D/P

The equivilent of putting the green (or red) and yellow under the same screw at the jack is to move the ringer wire that WOULD have connected with the yellow set cord lead to the screw that has the green (or red) set cord lead on it inside the phone. If your ringers all work when using only the green and red set cord leads, the ringer wire has been moved inside the phone.

Phones were originally wired with all three leads so an installer wouldn't have to open up the phone to configure the ringer for party 1, 2 or private line. Once the RJ11 plugs arrived it was no longer possible to put two spade leads together at the wall so ringer leads had to be moved around inside the phone. Since almost all phones were private line sets by then it wasn't that big of an issue anymore.

Terry

Dan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 05, 2010, 08:42:40 PM
Dan;
Is it necessary to use the yellow line wire ?
Also have you checked the incoming line to insure the wires are hooked red to red etc. Maybe someone changed them at some point in time.

D/P

They all line up. I used the yellow because Jorge told me to do this. I  have never bothered with th eyellow on previous setups, but they didn't invlove the complexity of a 426A tube either.

Dan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 05, 2010, 08:57:47 PM
Terry;

Dan;
Something doesn't look right with the wiring at "G". Also if you correct the polarity problem, will you have to move the Yellow wire from the tube also. What is the white wire going to L2 ?
D/P

The white wire going to L2 is either the yellow one from the tube that appears white or it is the true white that comes from under the hangup switch.(two wires are on L2)