News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric TYPE 21 2-Boxer from eBay

Started by Sargeguy, June 30, 2018, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I won this item, it was $240 including the shipping.  A nice, mostly complete, Western Electric 2-boxer from the 1890s. the phone was upgraded with a newer transmitter, and they dis something funky with the wiring as it passes the hinges,  but the rest of it looks original.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

It appears that the #5 arm is original (there was no earlier Blake).  The backboard and battery box are the 2-boxer type, not the earlier Blake style. The 323w transmitter would be an upgrade from an earlier uninsulated transmitter, and the screws replaced the earlier hexagonal bell nuts. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

As luck would have it I purchased another TYPE 21 box from eBay last week for $51 shipped.  This one is complete except for the crank.  All I need now is a backboard and some additional wall space.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Despite them both being TYPE 21s with the same patent dates, the second box is a "bridging" box which is slightly longer and will not fit on the other phones backboard. The box is slightly longer due to the orientation of the binding posts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409