News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Destroyed box with bonus inside.

Started by wds, April 02, 2012, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Bought this WE candlestick off of Ebay, with the ringer box.  When I saw the box on my front porch, my heart sank as I was sure the phone was destroyed.  The box looked like one of the USPS trucks had driven over it.  Unbelievably the phone was undamaged.  But the bonus was the packaging.  Wadded up inside the box was some newspapers dated 1931 and 1941.  I certainly don't recognize these cartoons, but maybe someone else does.  If this seller is keeping newspapers that are that old, can you imagine what other treasures he might have in his house?

The phone turned out to be a 50al marked out and converted to a 151al.  The date on the side of the base is dated May 7, 1918, which is one of the earlier dates for the candlestick.  The cords are perfect, as is everything else on the phone.   Subset is a 295, in walnut.  2AA no notch dial.  
Dave

wds

more pics
Dave

canuckphoneguy

I love old newspapers, almost as much as I love old phones.

dpaynter1066

Wow, youre right, that house must be like a time capsule.  likely they are selling off a relatives estate or something.

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on April 02, 2012, 04:30:32 PM
...Wadded up inside the box was some newspapers dated 1931 and 1941.  ...  If this seller is keeping newspapers that are that old, can you imagine what other treasures he might have in his house?  

Yeah, silverfish!  They love old newspapers!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on April 02, 2012, 04:30:32 PM
 Wadded up inside the box was some newspapers dated 1931 and 1941.  I certainly don't recognize these cartoons, but maybe someone else does.    

I recognize Gasoline Alley, but only because it was still around in the 60s when I was a kid.  There were others that were around a long time, such as Bringing Up Father, Prince Valiant, et al.  I never liked them because the humor seemed dry or the story line was boring to me.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jester

The page I pinged on was the cut & fold model of the Grumman "Skyrocket".  The newsprint incorrectly identifies it as the "XF4F-1".  Aviation history buffs will recognize the"F4F" as the U.S. Navy ID for the Grumman "Wildcat".... this design was known in Navy lingo as "XF5F-1".  While it failed to produce a Navy order, it went on as the preferred plane of an elite group of comic book heroes during WWII... I can't recall the name of the comic.  It also prompted Grumman to go "back to the drawing board" and develop the F7F Tigercat, which saw service through most of the Korean War.
Stephen

wds

I love reading old newspapers.  These two comics are from the June 1, 1941.  Not long before Pearl Harbor.  The comic I posted earlier from 1931 was at the beginning of the Depression. 
Dave

McHeath

Those are great old comics!  Gasoline Alley I remember as well, but the rest are unknowns.  That last bit on celebrities was interesting, sort of like the Rippley Believe It Or Not things that run in our current Sunday Funnies.  You could iron the papers out and get them nice and smooth, use an ironing cloth over the paper so as not to burn it.

A few years ago when working under our house I found an LA Times from when they were building the house back in 66'.  It was tossed on the ground, but as our desert climate here is so dry it was in pretty good shape overall.