News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rebuilding my AE-34 dial card assy

Started by flingwing1969, March 16, 2012, 01:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flingwing1969

I've done some poking around on the forum for a comprehensive how to on rebuilding the dial card assy - ring and backer plate - on an AE without success.  I am getting a ring and backer plate and would like to know the proper way to piece them together - any help would be appreciated.

stub

flingwing1969,
                     Go here and  download this from TCI Library.    stub

http://tinyurl.com/7zcpp9z
Kenneth Stubblefield

flingwing1969

Thank you.  That should help me get the orientation correct.

flingwing1969

Anyone know the history behind the numbers on the dials?  My 24 has only numbers on it, but I've seen 24s and 24A136s with numbers and letters - some simple a - b - c and others ABC - DEF - GHI etc. 

AE_Collector

If you were in a small town and served by an automatic exchange you likely only were calling other subscribers within the same exchange. If you were calling or being called from other towns or cities it all went through the operator and they ususally just asked for your number at your town.

On the other hand larger cities quickly grew above one single exchange so unique names were given to the exchanges. You needed the letters on the dial to call them particularly when these calls were local calls.

So Cosmopolitan dials for use in larger cities had letters on them as well as numbers while rural dials didn't. In the early years of automatic exchanges, some Telco's used other variations of dials where sometimes just the first letter of a named exchange resides on each digit. Eventually the arrangement that we are all familiar with became the standard.

Terry

flingwing1969

Ah, reasonable explanation, thanks Terry.