News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

f1 shoulder rests?

Started by Bustercat, June 23, 2010, 01:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustercat

What shoulder rests were available for the F1 handset?

I've seen this one (not sure if it would work on an f1):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1734.0

Are there others from the period?

Not that I'm complaining about its "wonderful" ergonomics or anything ;)

Just4Phones

Hi Bustercat.  I have seen them come up on EBAY once and awhile so they do exist.  If I see one I will be sure to post it here for you.  They are similar to the ones for the 500 but obviously fit better.  I often wonder how the teenagers of the 50's stayed on the phone so long....that dang F1 is so uncomfortable for more than 5 minutes use  :'(  Joel

McHeath

I saw an F1 with a shoulder rest at the San Jose California phone show last November.  It was all aluminum, and painted the same orange as the rest of the phone in what looked like an old and probably Bell System paint job, or a good home done job.  It made the handset more useable, but it was not going to win any awards for looks.

paul-f

Here are a few from the saved photos department...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bustercat

That receive ease doesn't look half bad, actually. (but why bright blue foam?)

paul-f

So you can tell when it's been used...

Wallphone

An F1 shoulder rest would have been handy when we had the conference call for Dan's phone.
I was using a metal WE 302 with an F1 and after about 40 minutes the handset seemed to weigh as much as the phone.
Dougpav

Bustercat

Just did a 2 hour phone call with an F1, shouldered, actually felt comfy after a while. Depends on what you're wearing, I guess. Just don't try to reach for anything!

How does the receiverease look up close on a phone? Is it bakelite or cheapo plastic?
Looks like a nice shape. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one.

paul-f

Cheapo plastic - of course.

Note that they were made to fit E, F or G handsets.  The style was pressed into the plastic and printed on the boxes.

LarryInMichigan

I just noticed this: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/1810125047.html
( dead link 04-19-21 )

Larry