News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Systems 50 L/M Wiring Help

Started by debeaune, April 15, 2014, 07:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Have a Bell Systems 500 L/M and can't seem to crack the riddle.  One loose wire, see in my hand in picture, and can't figure where it goes.  Without it connected, I get nothing but on one post it goes straight to ring, another tone fades out.  Can anyone look at this and let me know where this guy goes or if another wire is out of place?  Any help would be appreciated, Tim.

WesternElectricBen

Looks like you need to put that dotted ringer wire in the k terminal.

Ben

HarrySmith

Looks like there are wires on the "F" terminal that should not be there. Remove the green line wire and what looks like a ringer wire.
Follow the diagram Ben provided.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

On a 500M set, the green line cord wire, blue dial wire and black ringer wire connect to F, as shown in the picture. So other than the missing ringer wire on K, this phone should work fine without any rewiring. It was wired this way to free up one side of the line switch (hookswitch) in order to repurpose those leads for use with a 1A1 or 1A2 Key system.

If you are using this like any other single line phone, i.e. without a 1A2 key system,  just don't connect the yellow and black line cord leads at the wall. Even better, move the hookswitch wire that is connected to G to L2. That way you won't inadvertently short out a second line, Princess transformer, or data pair that might be connected to the yellow and black at the wall jack.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

debeaune

Now it really got thick, I wired per the diagram, note the 2 blues coming off the dialer, treated the inner as green.  Now I get no dial tone but if a call comes in , the phone rings but cannot pickup.  Any ideas, this one is puzzling?  Thank you again.

HarrySmith

My apology. I was not paying attention and was referrring to a regular 500 wiring and Ben posted the wiring for one. As pointed out by Poplar1 yours is an M model. The diagram can be found in the TCI library here.

If you are looking to use it as a regular single line 500 I am sure it would not be too hard to do but offhand I cannot tell you how to wire it. I am sure someone here more knowledgeable can offer advice.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

My apologies, as well, for possibly leading you on a wild goose chase, when supplying the wrong diagram.

Ben

poplar1

It is possible to use the 500D diagram as long as you move the hookswitch wires, that are on 6 and 5, to L1 and F.

HarrySmith

Thanks Dave. I knew those 2 had to go somewhere.
Tim, if you have it wired per the diagram Ben provided, it might be easier to leave it. Just take the 2 wires from the switch hook and move them to the network as Dave suggested.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

debeaune

Thanks, just to clarify, do I take both wires that are on 5 and 6 and move to L1 and F and does 5 go to L1 or F?  Thanks a bunch...Tim  BTW, no apologies necessary, this is fun and you guys are very courteous.

HarrySmith

6 to L1 and 5 to F.
I  glad you are enjoying yourself ;D
I just don't like giving bad info, especially just from not paying attention!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Just move the thick hookswitch wires to L1 and F

You can leave the yellow and black line cord wires on 5 and 6 since they are no longer needed at this time...always a good idea to just isolate them (connect to an unused spare terminal or tape and store) rather than cut them off.

debeaune

Guys, thank you all, works like a charm now, may have to swap out handset or cord but other than that, wiring works perfectly now.  Appreciate it big time.  I do have a question on another 500 I have, do I have any chance of saving this cord and getting an rj-11 on it?  This wire is so thin, not sure I can crimp a connector onto it.  Do I just remove it and replace with different wire?

WesternElectricBen

If that line cord is WE equipment, I would just wire in an adapter, as I think it would be cheaper. Although, I'm pretty sure you could, if you tear back the insulation.

Ben

paul-f

Check out one of the topics on crimping connectors on to wire ends.  Here's one:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4863.msg61541#msg61541

The thin tinsel conductors in most cords do not lend themselves to soldering or being held under screw terminals.  The wire is so fine it will quickly fracture.

Terminals wrap around the wire and pins pierce the insulation to make a secure mechanical contact.

there are modular plugs that accept spade tips (with U-shaped ends), or you can use a junction block to make the transition to a half modular cord (flat modular cord with spade tips on one end and a standard modular plug on the other.

Or use a surface mount modular jack to make the transition:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1250.msg15797#msg15797
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line