News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric AD1 with coiled line cord?

Started by Cole, September 04, 2019, 07:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole

I'm thinking of making an offer on this, because it's early and it's push button. But is the line cord original? It looks like it might be by the connector on the phone end. But I've never seen a coiled line cord before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Bell-System-Round-Button-Retro-Green-Trimline-Telephone-TV-prop/233136747650?

FABphones

Screenshots from above eBay listing:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

I have never seen a coiled trimline line cord. It does appear to have the base connector. I don't know how easy it would be to crimp that on another cord. It is a 5 conductor cord, which is the same # of conductors as the early trimline handset cords. The ends of the cord are straight, which isn't how the ends of a trimline handset cord are.
If it is a real trimline line cord, then It was probably for a 2 line or special purpose set.

If it turns out to be real , then that would be a bonus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think $75.00 is to high for it.
Most of my common trimlines were purchased for $2-$5. I now pay up to $10.00 on a really nice round button set.
I think that phone would go for $30-$40 tops at a phone show.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

"Retractile" mounting cord for AD1 is the D5AN.

Réf: BSP 502-304-101  i1 Apr70 (TCI Library).

Never saw a 2-line Trimline base. 5 conductors =

Green (Tip)
Red (Ring)
Yellow (ringer circuit -- to Tip, Ring, or Ground depending on class of service)
Black (dial lamp)
White (dial lamp)

(Same as the standard straight D5AL cord)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Cole

Wow, you guys really do know all things phones! Thanks for the info. I noticed too that the four pin plug has a green backing, unfortunately it seems the cover is missing.

I figured the value was around the same as you say. I might make an offer and see if seller is interested in selling. I don't think they'll get asking price.

Also, anyone have a date guess on this? Looks like could be 1968 or 69 would be my guess or maybe early 70s. I can't see the stamp clearly enough to tell.

loblolly986

The unusual retractile line cord is neat but I also don't think this phone's anywhere near $75 neat. Nice ones can be had for much less; look at this recently-sold example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Bell-Systems-Trimline-Push-Button-Telephone-/233311050127

Note the pre-'70s Bell System and Western Electric logos on the dial faceplate and screw/lamp cover, indicating this is an especially early example of the 2220 (twelve-button) handset. Complete five-conductor line cord as well. This was listed once before with no takers and even had an $18 Buy-It-Now option before bids were placed. I couldn't spare the funds at the time, or I might have bought it myself.

The green phone also has a Bell logo on the line-switch button (not sure which) and the older Bell System/Western Electric markings on the light cover (installed on the base on this example) so it's about the same age or not much newer, but better photos would be needed to tell more. There were a couple of variations after the 1969 logo change before they settled on a plain button with the Western Electric name above, as pictured here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22032.msg223829#msg223829

Cole

Yes I had actually thought of bidding on that white Trimline but was mostly looking for a different color. It was very nice though. I made an offer on the green Trimline and got a response but seller said they could only accept $70 at minimum. I will see if more come for sale.