News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ron Knappens Scrapbook

Started by wds, November 22, 2017, 11:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I noticed that Ron Knappen has come out with a new 3 volume scrapbook.  I was just wondering if anyone here has purchased the new books and if they are any better than the original 3 volume set? 
Dave

TelePlay

For reference, the following is from the Phonecoinc Facebook page posted 8/13/17:

"I usually don't get involved with the business end of Phoneco. However I feel i must make an exception. Ron's book "Old Telephones Scrapbook" has finally been printed. This book is 3 volumes totaling around 2,000 pages. I weighed the 3 volume set and they weigh nearly 23 pounds!

Volume 1: Earliest History, 325 Inventors, Telegraphy Patents, Pioneers, Name-brands, Assemblers, Distributors, Charts

Volume 2: Company Descriptions, Refurbishers, Dealers, Ericsson

Volume 3: 400 European Name Brands, Western Electric, Vehicles

The printing of this is small and about a third have been sold already. This is a massive collection of information and reference material meant for the serious collector or museum curator. I think the price is a little over $100.00 for the set of three. For a firm price and availability email   vickik@phonecoinc.com"

You have to scroll down through their Facebook page, Facebook does not provide links directly to a post, unfortunately. Looks like the post was placed by Vicki Knappen. She does not reference old vs new so I assume this is a "new" printing of the set. 2,000 pages of information for the phone person looks like a nice gift for this time of the year.

rdelius

I hope it is more organized.I submitted information for his new book-25 years ago

AE_Collector

I don't have the new books but did have the opportunity to quickly check them out recently as a friend bought a set. I do own the old original set.

The first thing that hits you when picking up one of the volumes is the weight! A volume is at least 2" thick, maybe more. So like a fairly thick phone book but the the weight is NITHING like a comparable sized phone book. Good quality paper is the difference. Some of the pictures only look marginally better (due to the better paper) than they did in the old books but many others are new pictures that look much better. I believe the books are all reorganized as well.

Shipping within the USA is Media a Rate from the USPS which is quite inexpensive, $15 or so...I can't recall. BUT, media rate doesn't exist to other countries and postage to the next closest country...Canada was $100! Ouch! Friend bought two sets, maybe the $100 postage was for both sets...can't recall now!

Anyway, that's all I can add...

Terry