News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1939 Black Metal Phone Help Please

Started by debeaune, September 14, 2014, 07:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Hello, picked this one up this weekend, haven't ventured into this early of a phone before so would appreciate any input anyone can provide.  I can get dialtone by connecting the red and green spades to my test terminal block, no incoming ring (possible Freq?), when I dial it stays on dial tone and dial locks up periodically on the return.  Any input on where I can start to get this one off the blocks and even what model/brand is it? Appreciate it...Tim

poplar1

Western Electric 302. Connect the yellow and red line cord wires together at the wall, or move the red ringer wire to L1. Try using some contact cleaner--the kind without lubricant--on the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Very nice metal shell 302 manufactured in early to mid-1939 with what seems to be a ringer replaced in the late 40s. Original paint looks good with normal chipping on the handset cradle ears.

debeaune

John, Poplar, thank you both, works fine now.  Still have an issue from time to time where the dial sticks both on the dial and the return, you have to give it a slighter harder nudge to push through so not sure if it needs more that the contact cleaner.  Also, I am familiar with the wo0l and skin so soft treatment for bakelites but how would you remove light scratches to this one and polish it up?  Thanks..Tim