News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Baking Bakelite?

Started by Lewes2, October 18, 2014, 11:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

Considering entering the wild world of homemade color phones. My skills with rattle can painting, though improving, are not at an acceptable level for painting a mount and handset with all the curves and surfaces.  I'm considering trying powder coating at home with an Eastwood kit. 

I think the mount would be manageable but the Bakelite handset is a challenge.  I've been doing some reading on low temp powder coating.  Obviously, the Bakelite cannot withstand the heat required to melt and cure the powder coating.  However, a temp of about !80 degrees will melt most of the powders but will not cure it.  This might be acceptable but I think tests are needed.

My question is much heat can a Bakelite handset and  caps sustain before they deform and become unusable?  On a hollow handset, I can remove the wires running to the receiver but what about a solid handset.  Are the imbedded wires rubber coated?  Curious to hear your thoughts and opinions.

FYI, Persido1 recommended using Polane paint in lieu of powder coating however, when I mention polane paint to any of the painting shops in our small town, I get looks of bewilderment.  But then, I had never heard of polane until reading Persido1's message.   :)

chuck

dencins

Some fillers used today (i.e. nylon) can lower the operating temperature but with the fillers used when handsets were made phenolic will sustain continuous operating temperatures of 250 degrees F.

For UL approval we tested mineral filled phenolic parts (motor protector cases) up to 600 degrees F with no dimensional distortion.

Dennis Hallworth

poplar1

Polane is a Sherwin-Williams product. And I believe the receiver wires embedded in the handles of E1 and early (solid core) F1s are not insulated.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

I posted a comment on Polane on another topic a few hours ago in response to a newer members question about it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12855.msg135301#msg135301

SW product sheets for low and high gloss Polane were attached there.

Lewes2

Thanks folks but as I mentioned, finding someone to shoot Polane  in our area is not possible but I remain hopeful.  I think  Polane is not for the  home user - five gallon minimum, two part.  Really messy.   

Hence, my thought to use powder coating -which can be done at home.  So the question remains about baking temps.  Dennis mentioned Bakelite being able to withstand temps of 250 with0ut physical distortion which should be high enough to melt the powder  -- - but not cure it.   I agree with John that the conductors inside the handset are probably not insulated - no need for it.  probably a bare copper wire.  Anyone cut one open? 

So, how about the handset caps?  They appear they would be sore sensitive to heat.  Thoughts?

/c

-

dencins

The surest way to tell is to put some parts in an oven at whatever temp you think you need for powder coating and see what happens.  I know little about powder coating.  I thought the powder adhered to the parts using an electric charge.  Phenolic is an insulator so I am not sure how that would work.

Dennis Hallworth   

unbeldi

Quote from: Lewes2 on October 18, 2014, 04:39:42 PM
Thanks folks but as I mentioned, finding someone to shoot Polane  in our area is not possible but I remain hopeful.  I think  Polane is not for the  home user - five gallon minimum, two part.  Really messy.   

Hence, my thought to use powder coating -which can be done at home.  So the question remains about baking temps.  Dennis mentioned Bakelite being able to withstand temps of 250 with0ut physical distortion which should be high enough to melt the powder  -- - but not cure it.   I agree with John that the conductors inside the handset are probably not insulated - no need for it.  probably a bare copper wire.  Anyone cut one open? 

So, how about the handset caps?  They appear they would be sore sensitive to heat.  Thoughts?

/c

-

How about plain old painting with an epoxy or enamel spray paint?  Western Electric in 1955 had no Polane nor powder-coating, yet they painted Bakelite handsets and telephones that held up to usage fairly well when these devices were in use probably much more heavily than any historic telephone would be used today. Paints today are far superior than in 1955, so that professional-grade results can be obtained at home or in the garage.

Why does it have to be powder-coated?

Lewes2

Well . . . .  . . that's a good question! and I'm struggling for an answer.

In my lay opinion, powder coating provides a more even coating, particularly on metal.  And particularly for a rattle can painting novice like myself.  Having said that, my skills with spray paint are improving to the extent I have almost eliminated runs-- (I have an ivory handset with about five coats of paint, between sandings,  - each coat with fewer runs <g>) 

However, the idea of coating something with powder and baking it until the coating is even and cured is attractive.  The idea of having a permanent, flawless coating on the phone just appeals to me.  Difficult for me to put into words  but I do appreciate your thoughts.

Chuck